Old 16-07-2003, 12:42 PM
KK from NJ

Default Are my Potatoes Mush?

This is my first year growing potatoes. I built a
2 1/2 ft x 6 ft x 3 ft high frame covered
by 1/2 wire mesh. I mulched with straw as they
grew. Today I took a peek down into the straw
and found a grayish blackish layer of what I can
only describe as some type of mold
I started these after the early season rains
the plagued the Northeast.
Something tells me this is not good.

zone 6
Old 16-07-2003, 03:42 PM
KK from NJ

I'm having trouble picturing this. I think you mean you built a box
to hold the straw, right?

Sorry I wasn't clear. The mold is in the straw. Its full of it

the cage
http://members.aol.com/kkfromnj/cage.jpg/

and if you can see it, the mold
http://members.aol.com/kkfromnj/mold.jpg/

Old 17-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Pat Kiewicz

KK from NJ said:

I'm having trouble picturing this. I think you mean you built a box
to hold the straw, right?

Sorry I wasn't clear. The mold is in the straw. Its full of it

the cage
http://members.aol.com/kkfromnj/cage.jpg/

and if you can see it, the mold
http://members.aol.com/kkfromnj/mold.jpg/

I couldn't see the pictures (pages of weird characters in the browsers I use),
but taking Aaron's word for it that the plants are healthy, you may have nothing
to worry about.

I plant my seed potatoes in the soil and mulch with chopped straw as they grow.
(In fact, I think I ought to top off the mulch this weekend.) The mulch usually gets
a bit rotten at the bottom, sometimes with weird ear-shaped fungus thingees on
it. The potatoes underneath are fine though (unless they've been nibbled by
voles, which is a whole 'nother problem).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 17-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Aaron Baugher

(Pat Kiewicz) writes:

http://members.aol.com/kkfromnj/cage.jpg/

and if you can see it, the mold
http://members.aol.com/kkfromnj/mold.jpg/

I couldn't see the pictures (pages of weird characters in the
browsers I use),

Remove the trailing slash, and they should display okay.

--
Aaron

Old 18-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Aaron Baugher said:

(Pat Kiewicz) writes:

http://members.aol.com/kkfromnj/cage.jpg/

and if you can see it, the mold
http://members.aol.com/kkfromnj/mold.jpg/

I couldn't see the pictures (pages of weird characters in the
browsers I use),

Remove the trailing slash, and they should display okay.

Ah, nice healthy foliage. The spuds should be OK if they are buried slightly
under the straw.

I use a frame of 12" boards to contain the straw mulch on my potatoes. It's more
than enough, usually, to keep the spuds from going green. They generally form
on or slightly below the soil surface.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)