Old 21-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Greg

Default Molikhia??

I was recently provided some seeds for a middle eastern green. The
individual that provided me the seeds, called it Molikhia and also
referred to the plant as the "food of the pharons." He did not know
how to refer to the plant in English. I was hoping that someone else
may be able to tell me more about this plant or what it is also known
as. A search on the web turned up empty. Thanks.
Old 21-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Greg said:

I was recently provided some seeds for a middle eastern green. The
individual that provided me the seeds, called it Molikhia and also
referred to the plant as the "food of the pharons." He did not know
how to refer to the plant in English. I was hoping that someone else
may be able to tell me more about this plant or what it is also known
as. A search on the web turned up empty. Thanks.

What do the seed look like? Do they resemble cabbage seeds? (Small, round,
with a dark seed coat.) Beet seeds? (Lumpy and bumpy, rather like bits of cork.)
Caraway seeds? If you could figure out what plant family the seeds are from,
it might help your search.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Greg

Bob Mounger wrote in message ...

This is the arabic name & there is no standard way to
render it in the roman alphabet. Sometimes is it called Melokhia

The scientific name is Corchorus olitorius.
There are a couple of English and French names he

http://www.hear.org/pier/cooli.htm

& if you don't have an Egyptian or Palestinian
friend to give you seeds you can get it from Nichols:

http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/...K5RM7539500439

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the information Bob. That helped me alot. I was able find
information with your spelling. I also found some recipes, so now I
have some ideas on how to use these plants when they are ready to
harvest.

---
Greg
Zone 7