Old 02-08-2003, 02:12 PM
mickeblue

Default Fruit Damage

Hello Folks!

can anyone help me out with a problem on my plum trees?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickeblue/plums.html

---

Old 03-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Pat Kiewicz

mickeblue said:

can anyone help me out with a problem on my plum trees?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickeblue/plums.html

The most immediate suspect is the plum curculio. This weevil lays its eggs
on stone fruit and apples, leaving small cresent-shaped scars. The larvae
feed inside the fruit. The damaged fruit is then subject to various rots.

See:
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruit/ef202.htm

The control info here is short but very much to the point:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2043.html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-08-2003, 08:22 PM
V_coerulea

I think Pat hit it on the head. Plum curculio makes it almost impossible to
grow plums here without lots of spraying - dormant oils, spring oil with
diazinon, manzeb... If you don't, the opportunistic brown rot will destroy
the whole fruit, and the next, etc. You've seen the results. Consult your
extension agent for what is the best spray and timing for your area.
Gary