Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fruit tree bark damage problem

I have about 15 fruit trees, semi-dwarf, about 2 years old. One of the
cherries and one of the apricots have bark damage, as pictured in these
pics. The rest of the trees are fine. I'm pretty sure it's not mechanical
damage, and I did not see any signs of insect damage (at least that I would
recognize). Any suggestions as to what causes it, and more important, what I
can do about it? Is it severe enough that I should replace the trees, or
will the trees heal OK? These trees have been in the ground for only 2
years.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2092.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2099.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2102.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2103.JPG

You can go here and see all of the pics if you want, the first 16 or so are
pics of these trees.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/2008JanGarden/

Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:

[...]

Good documentation with the pictures.

My best guess would be winter sun scald problems. Check out the following
web site for more information:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/cro.../fac46s00.html

Sherwin D.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:49:48 -0800, Zootal wrote:
I have about 15 fruit trees, semi-dwarf, about 2 years old. One of the
cherries and one of the apricots have bark damage, as pictured in these
pics. The rest of the trees are fine. I'm pretty sure it's not mechanical

Looks sunscaldish to me: see, for instance, these photos of alder:
http://www.cof.orst.edu/coops/hsc/im...mage/index.htm

Typical cure is to put tree wrap on in late fall and have it off by early the
next growing season:
http://extension.missouri.edu/EXTENS...le.asp?id=1806
Big growers often use white paint instead of tree wrap.

Kay