Old 04-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Mark & Shauna

Default Dog eats tomatos

They may be too wasted to bother catching any mice by the time they are
done!! Haha, how amusing would it be to see one of the cats next to the
chicken pen, eyes rolled back in his head, with a mouse sitting on his
forehead.

Mark

Glenna Rose wrote:
writes:

So cats actually eat the plant? When I was younger we had cats and
their catnip was always inside a cloth ball or sock so I assumed
that they got hyper from the scent or residue as opposed to eating it.

Not just yes, but enthusiastically (and glassy-eyed) yes!

I keep the catnip plant in a hanging planter in the tree. My tomcat's
favorite treat is when I hold him and stand beside the plant so he can eat
some of the leaves. He absolutely loves that.

Last year, I made the somewhat unwise decision to set the plant on the
ground for a couple of days . . . that was nearly the end of that plant.
However, the cats laying out there and rolling all around, etc., was
amusing.

I am thinking of planting some at the chicken pen to encourage intruding
cats to linger there and catch any stray mice. A bird cage over the
catnip plant will protect it while letting the cats savor its aroma and
extruding leaves. Somehow, a birdcage protecting the plant seems more
appropriate than a wire cage made for that purpose. Maybe some clever cat
can figure out how to open the door and get more delightful catnip. g

Glenna

Old 05-08-2003, 04:17 AM

Speaking of catnip:
Everytime I get some going in a pot, with really good soil, it croaks. I am
starting from seed.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Years ago when I had an apt., I
had a cat litter box on the patio with soil in it, nothing special. THe
catnip grew like crazy. Maybe I am trying too hard? Too much sun?
I want it in a pot so I can move it out of our intense sun when needed.
I used to take off just one leaf and rub it on the carpet to release the
oils and scent. Harry went mad! I'd almost like to have a cat again, just
to experience that.
roz
az usa