Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
FDR

Default Garlic and seed

I grew garlic this year for the first time and I didn't remove the scapes.
The plants are just about mature and ready to be dug up (leaves yellowing
and dying). At the top of the plants are big bulbs within what appears to
be a seeds. Is that the right assumption? What can I do with this seed? I
know that one usually plants with the bulb cloves. How would I plant with
these? Would it take much longer to grow?

Thanks

ob

Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Gary Woods

"FDR" wrote:

At the top of the plants are big bulbs within what appears to
be a seeds. Is that the right assumption?

They're called "bulbils," and you can plant them in the fall as you would
the cloves. Usually, the first year you'll get a "round" that looks like a
small onion. Re-planting this will get you a regular garlic bulb the next
year.
Good way to eliminate soil-borne diseases if these are a worry.
Very small bulbils take longer to get to full-sized garlic.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Growing garlic from seed Doug Kanter Gardening 3 02-08-2005 10:27 AM
anyone need some garlic SEED? Bpyboy Edible Gardening 0 09-08-2003 02:33 PM
maturity of clover seed and trefoil seed? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 02-07-2003 11:10 PM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM