Old 14-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Jimbo

Default How to save seeds from sweetcorn plant?

I have 7 out of the 30 or so seeds that I planted live, so I want to save a
few cobs for seeds to plant next year en-mass. What's best way to prepare
the seeds to ensure they will germinate ok?

Thanks
J.
Old 14-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Gary Woods

Jimbo wrote:

What's best way to prepare
the seeds to ensure they will germinate ok?

Let them fully mature on the plant, then store cool and dry, either on the
cob or off.
A caveat or three: Your sweet corn is almost surely a first-generation
hybrid, so the seed may not produce something like the original. Corn is
one of the real sluts of the vegetable kingdom, so if there's any other
variety of corn within a mile or so, you may have your own festive hybrid.
Shameless plug:
Get a copy of Suzanne Ashworth's "Seed to Seed." Available from the used
booksellers online reasonably, and worth even the full list price.

But that's just my opinion.
I could be wrong.