Old 09-05-2003, 10:32 PM
icathro

Default Sweetcorn under glass

I'm trying to grow Sweetcorn under glass for the first time. In Scotland,
you're lucky to get a crop outside and thought it worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience / advice ?

Iain, Dundee, Scotland

Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "icathro" contains these words:

I'm trying to grow Sweetcorn under glass for the first time. In Scotland,
you're lucky to get a crop outside and thought it worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience / advice ?

If you start them inside and plant them out when they are about 4" high
they shouldn't need glass. Not even in Dundee.

I grew them on the Isle of Lewis.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Ian wrote in message ...
I'm trying to grow Sweetcorn under glass for the first time. In Scotland,
you're lucky to get a crop outside and thought it worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience / advice ?

If you grow the modern "supersweet" varieties which grow quickly and not too
tall you should be able to grow them in a sunny spot up there I would have
thought.
Marshalls Xtra Sweet Improved springs to mind.
Anyway, as they are wind pollinated you will have to provide the wind by
shaking the plants and blowing the pollen about the greenhouse. A fan might
help.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 10-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Chris Stewart

"icathro" wrote in message
I'm trying to grow Sweetcorn under glass for the first time. In Scotland,
you're lucky to get a crop outside and thought it worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience / advice ?

Iain, Dundee, Scotland

Hi Ian,
I grew sweetcorn under glass in Aberdeen a few years ago when we had a
greenhouse. They were planted in a soil bed, watered - fed with tomorite
weekly - or when I remembered. You need to gently shake them when it comes
to spreading pollen, but it flies everywhere. I can't remember the variety,
but they tasted nice! Lot of work for a few cobs :-)
Chris S

Old 10-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Anthony E Anson wrote:
The message
from "icathro" contains these words:

I'm trying to grow Sweetcorn under glass for the first time. In Scotland,
you're lucky to get a crop outside and thought it worth a try.

Does anyone have any experience / advice ?

If you start them inside and plant them out when they are about 4" high
they shouldn't need glass. Not even in Dundee.

I grew them on the Isle of Lewis.

Where temperatures are not your problem. You can only just grow
decent sweetcorn in the south, and then only if you use short-season
varieties, because the growing season really isn't warm enough and
long enough. The reason that it succeeds is because most people in
this country eat it terribly underripe, when it is almost flavourless.

In Dundee, he should be OK if there isn't a late, hard frost, but
he runs the risk of one of those even in June. In Lewis, the chances
of a hard June frost are, er, slightly low :-)

The short-season varieties are bred to develop a lot of sugar in
low light levels and low temperatures, but that merely covers up
the lack of flavour. Like many people who grew up eating the crop,
I prefer even sweetcorn after the sugars have started to convert to
starch and the kernels are developing more flavour. But you can't
buy even supermarket sweetcorn like that here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.