Old 08-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Mike Davis

Default Has anyone used "keyhole" beds?

Thanks, Seamus!

"Seamus Ma' Cleriec" wrote in message
om...
"Mike Davis" wrote in message

news:xGK5b.109661$xf.108499@lakeread04...
That's interesting, how did you end up going with that shape bed, rather
than the more traditional one?

What do you grow in them, perennials or annuals, or a mix?

Mike D.

"Seamus Ma' Cleriec" wrote in message
om...
Yes, I guess I've been doing that for years w/o even knowing it --

works
just great.

"Mike Davis" wrote in message

Take a look he

http://www.permacult.com.au/noosa/keyhole_garden.html

It provides a very high-level overview.

M.D.

"Seamus Ma' Cleriec" wrote in message
om...
whatza "Keyhole Bed", if I may ask ?

"Mike Davis" wrote in message

I was going through an old copy of one of Mollison's

Permaculture
books
and
he mentions keyhole beds. Has anyone here tried them and would

like
share
their experiences, pros and cons, etc.?

Thanks!
Mike D.

The bed was the result of removing an above ground pool with a sand
bed. We have veryt clay soil here so I rotoilled the sand under with
some leaves. The shape derives from it being a Italianate/knot herb
garden which gradually eveolved into a veggy/herb/flower garden.
Veggys and some herbs are annuals, flowers and some herbs are
perrenial. I very lazy and don't like weeding - thus I keep a heavy
straw/pine needle mulch on the whole thing, digging it under each
spring.
Works great.