Old 06-09-2003, 03:04 AM
OTM

Default Horn-like thing on tomatoes

Hi all!

I planted seven different varieties of tomatoes this year:

1. Sungold - indeterminate cherry.
2. Green Grape - indeterminate, small-kiwi shaped fruit.
3. Matt's Wild Cherry
4. Kuralik - determinite cherry.
5. Mr. Stripey - indeterminate green with yellow stripes.
6. Sweet Million - indeterminate cherry.
7. Black Prince - indeterminate dark red-black fruit.

Of all of them, Sungold is the only one that's thriving. Black Prince
is living, but not fruiting anymore. Green Grape looks okay. The
rest have either died or are in the process of dying. The leaves
start curling up, then the veins get dark, then the leaves start
yellowing. The plant stops growing, then the whole thing kind of
wastes away.

My concern is with the Black Prince tomatoes. A few of the fruit have
a horn-shaped projection sticking out of them. They literally look
like they sprouted a horn from the skin of the tomato. Does anyone
know what this is?

If it helps, I live in the Seattle area.

Thanks!
OTM.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Noydb

OTM wrote:

Hi all!

I planted seven different varieties of tomatoes this year:

1. Sungold - indeterminate cherry.
2. Green Grape - indeterminate, small-kiwi shaped fruit.
3. Matt's Wild Cherry
4. Kuralik - determinite cherry.
5. Mr. Stripey - indeterminate green with yellow stripes.
6. Sweet Million - indeterminate cherry.
7. Black Prince - indeterminate dark red-black fruit.

Of all of them, Sungold is the only one that's thriving. Black Prince
is living, but not fruiting anymore. Green Grape looks okay. The
rest have either died or are in the process of dying. The leaves
start curling up, then the veins get dark, then the leaves start
yellowing. The plant stops growing, then the whole thing kind of
wastes away.

You might google for "tomato diseases" and see if you can't find a picture
of exactly what the problem is.

My concern is with the Black Prince tomatoes. A few of the fruit have
a horn-shaped projection sticking out of them. They literally look
like they sprouted a horn from the skin of the tomato. Does anyone
know what this is?

'normal' mutation ... nothing to be concerened about.

If it helps, I live in the Seattle area.

Thanks!
OTM.

I don't know if it helps to be in Seattle or not ... but it sounds worth
trying.

Bill
--
Zone 8b (Detroit, MI)