Old 07-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Happy Shopper

Default Poppy Seeds SALE or TRADE

http://www.sirinet.net/~hs/hs.htm

Would like to trade for medicinal herb seeds.
The poppies I have are of the papaver somniferum species. The opium poppy
will grow to about 48" and produce a 4" seed pod. Also have an herbal CD
with 100s of herbs and techniques of cultivating and harvesting.

Old 07-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Amberbock

I don't have any seeds for you this year, but I just bought a bunch of seeds
from www.gardenmedicinals.com
and I hope to have some for trade next year or so.
Dorothy

Old 08-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:52:49 -0500, "Happy Shopper"
wrote:

http://www.sirinet.net/~hs/hs.htm

Would like to trade for medicinal herb seeds.
The poppies I have are of the papaver somniferum species. The opium poppy
will grow to about 48" and produce a 4" seed pod. Also have an herbal CD
with 100s of herbs and techniques of cultivating and harvesting.

Could you please post a picture of a 4" poppy seedpod? This is quite
different from the approx. 1/2" pod I am familiar with on Papaver
somniferum. Is this some special variety? How does a poppy stem
support such a large fruit?
Old 08-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Andrew McMichael

Happy Shopper wrote:

http://www.sirinet.net/~hs/hs.htm

Would like to trade for medicinal herb seeds.
The poppies I have are of the papaver somniferum species.

You note on your website that Wal-Mart sells the papaver somniferum variiety.
Are you sure of this? I was pretty sure that they sold the other papavers, but
not somniferum.

Andrew
Old 08-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Henriette Kress

Andrew McMichael wrote:

You note on your website that Wal-Mart sells the papaver somniferum variiety.
Are you sure of this? I was pretty sure that they sold the other papavers, but
not somniferum.

All grocery stores sell P. somniferum... on their spice shelf.
Poppy seed (the spice) is from P. somniferum.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 08-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Ken Anderson

"Happy Shopper" wrote in message
http://www.sirinet.net/~hs/hs.htm

Would like to trade for medicinal herb seeds.
The poppies I have are of the papaver somniferum species. The opium poppy
will grow to about 48" and produce a 4" seed pod. Also have an herbal CD
with 100s of herbs and techniques of cultivating and harvesting.

Can you believe Thompson and Morgan bowed to a US request to remove Hens and
Chicks from their catalog? Some of the steps we take in this "drug war" are
absolutely rediculous.
Ken A.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:12:56 GMT, "Ken Anderson"
wrote:

Can you believe Thompson and Morgan bowed to a US request to remove Hens and
Chicks from their catalog? Some of the steps we take in this "drug war" are
absolutely rediculous.

What does 'hens and chicks' have to do with drugs?

Pat
Old 08-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Ken Anderson

wrote:

Can you believe Thompson and Morgan bowed to a US request to remove Hens

and
Chicks from their catalog? Some of the steps we take in this "drug war"

are
absolutely rediculous.

What does 'hens and chicks' have to do with drugs?

Pat
--

Hens and Chickens, a big somniferum. It's still in the UK catalog.
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds/uk/list_p_35.html

Old 08-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:42:31 GMT, "Ken Anderson"

Hens and Chickens, a big somniferum. It's still in the UK catalog.
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds/uk/list_p_35.html

Thanks. I didn't know they are in that family.

They're a very useful plant too, especially for rock gardens
and similar.

Yes, the WoD is often ridiculous. I've come around to the
viewpoint that drugs should be legalized: what the USA is
doing now is not working, and is criminalizing an awful lot
of people.

Pat
Old 08-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

Hens and Chickens, a big somniferum. It's still in the UK catalog.
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds/uk/list_p_35.html

On second thought, scratch my prior post saying they're a
useful plant for rock gardens, etc.

It appears that the USA and UK call two different plants
'hens and chicks' - not a surprise.

The ones we call 'hens and chicks' in the USA are
_Sempervivum tectorum_ and they are definitely not an annual
and not 30" high as described in the T&M catalog. They're a
low-growing perennial succulent. There are variations but
all in the _Sempervivum_ family, AFAIK, and all low-growing
perennials, AFAIK.

T&M doesn't give the scientific name but their 'hens and
chicks' are obviously not the same thing at all.

Pat

Old 08-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Henriette Kress

Pat Meadows wrote:
"Ken Anderson" wrote:

Hens and Chickens, a big somniferum. It's still in the UK catalog.
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds/uk/list_p_35.html

Thanks. I didn't know they are in that family.

They're a very useful plant too, especially for rock gardens
and similar.

You mean Sempervivum tectorum (and other species), houseleek, or "Hens and
chickens".

Ken means Papaver somniferum 'Hens and chickens', a gorgeous garden beauty
- and a cultivar of the opium poppy.

You're talking different plants.

Henriette