Old 29-01-2003, 04:20 PM
zxcvbob

Default Open pollenated sweet corn

Does anyone grow Golden Bantam anymore? I like the (se) hybrid corns they
sell around here in the summer, mostly because if it is overripe or was
picked two days ago it will still be sweet. I don't really like the (se2)
supersweet corns because they just taste like sugarwater and don't have
enough "chew" to them.

I think Golden Bantam might be better suited for a small home garden in an
unpredictable climate (even in June the weather could turn cold right after
I plant, or it could be hot), but I don't remember that much about it -- 2
small ears per stalk, short stalks tha can be planted close together, you
gotta start the water boiling before you pick it because it gets starchy
*fast* after picking.

Are there any other old-fashioned sweet corns that are good for small
gardens? Ordinarily I wouldn't waste the space on corn since I can buy
pretty good fresh corn, but I think it would be a good rotation crop where
I've been beans, peppers, and tomatoes in the same spot every year and
starting to have pest and disease problems.

BTW, Wife would like for me to grow Silver Queen, but it is too late to
produce up here. If there's a good northern variety of white corn it might
be a good compromise.

Best regards,
Bob (zone 4)
Old 29-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:
Does anyone grow Golden Bantam anymore?

[snip]

Yes, we like it. Seed is probably available from many places; got mine
from Territorial (http://www.territorial-seed.com)

-frank
Old 29-01-2003, 10:30 PM
FarmerDill

It is still grown, my father wouldn't eat any other corn, It is easy to grow
and the first yellow sweet corn to be popular. The older open pollinated are
still grown as specialty crops, My mother's favorite Black Mexican is about as
early as Golden Bantam, but about the same size is still available, although
some of the "jazzier" catalogs now call it Black Aztec. Stowell's Evergreen and
Country Gentleman (Shoepeg) are still grown, The latter commercially for
creamed corn. Both are late corns like Silver Queen. All are white corn at the
edible stage. Available lots of places but http://www.rhshumway.com/ has all
three.

How should I hand pollinate sweet corn where there's not a bunch growing together? H Hornblower Edible Gardening 2 12-07-2003 01:20 PM
Country Gentleman sweet corn Gary The Rookie Farmer Edible Gardening 6 29-06-2003 09:44 PM
Sweet Corn Janice United Kingdom 7 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
Spinach and Sweet Corn Adrian Jones United Kingdom 11 20-05-2003 04:20 PM
Raccoons in the sweet corn Tim B Edible Gardening 4 20-02-2003 12:39 PM