Old 10-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Phew... finally got my garlic in.

I was getting nervous that we were gonna get frozen before I got a
chance to get it in. I've been so busy that I just hadn't had time to
plant. FINALLY this past weekend I had the time to prep the garden and
get the German Red and White in.
--
Steve
Zone 5

Old 10-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Gary Woods

Steve Calvin wrote:

FINALLY this past weekend I had the time to prep the garden and
get the German Red and White in.

If it looks like the ground will freeze more than an inch deep in the next
4+ weeks, put some mulch over the garlic, so it can get roots down to
anchor it before everything stops. Otherwise, a moderate mulch _after_ the
ground freezes helps to damp the freeze/thaw cycle that can damage roots.

I just finished planting mine last week in zone 5/4.... Some ground-up
leaves waiting in the wings just in case...

Old 11-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Steve Calvin

Gary Woods wrote:

Steve Calvin wrote:

FINALLY this past weekend I had the time to prep the garden and
get the German Red and White in.

If it looks like the ground will freeze more than an inch deep in the next
4+ weeks, put some mulch over the garlic, so it can get roots down to
anchor it before everything stops. Otherwise, a moderate mulch _after_ the
ground freezes helps to damp the freeze/thaw cycle that can damage roots.

I just finished planting mine last week in zone 5/4.... Some ground-up
leaves waiting in the wings just in case...

Yup, covered it with mulch 'cause of my late planting.

--
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:02 PM
dstvns

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:04:52 GMT, Steve Calvin
wrote:

I was getting nervous that we were gonna get frozen before I got a
chance to get it in. I've been so busy that I just hadn't had time to
plant. FINALLY this past weekend I had the time to prep the garden and
get the German Red and White in.

Yea, I've put in a dozen bulbs, still have a half dozen GEH's to go
(German Extra Hardy's). The first round were generic stiffneck
rocamboles Good stuff, but always something that tends to be
procrastinated in the fall heheh

Dan