Old 14-01-2007, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Belated Phew!

Phew,

We went off out garden-cetering today as it has been so calm and sunny.

I have just checked the temperature and it reads a today's high of 40
degrees! for the unheated greenhouse, and ten degrees there at the moment,
(almost midnight). It's nine degrees outside (i.e. in the shade ;-)

A very quiet night here on the edge of the cliff, with hardly any breeze,
yet alone wind - but everything even slightly re/movable is still stashed
away inside now... ready for next week's 'hooley'.

Keith
Southwell, Isle of Portland
Dorset's most southerly village.

PS as an afterthought I have just looked up 'hooley' on google:

'blowing a hoolie/hooley is slang for blowing a gale - the word "hooley"
just on it's tod used to mean a heck of a party!'

Old 15-01-2007, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/1/07 23:58, in article , "Keith
(Dorset)" wrote:

Phew,

We went off out garden-cetering today as it has been so calm and sunny.

I have just checked the temperature and it reads a today's high of 40
degrees! for the unheated greenhouse, and ten degrees there at the moment,
(almost midnight). It's nine degrees outside (i.e. in the shade ;-)

A very quiet night here on the edge of the cliff, with hardly any breeze,
yet alone wind - but everything even slightly re/movable is still stashed
away inside now... ready for next week's 'hooley'.

PS as an afterthought I have just looked up 'hooley' on google:

'blowing a hoolie/hooley is slang for blowing a gale - the word "hooley"
just on it's tod used to mean a heck of a party!'

used to sail a bit, so a hooley is an unthinking expression for me. So
sorry if it caused confusion but it wasn't intentional.
I imagine it springs from 'hooligan/hurricane' but have never gone into the
etymology! Either way, all of such winds are blots on the gardening
experience, that's for sure.
So, tonight's weather.......well, the barometer has just zoomed upwards and
is looking a bit smug. It's a little overcast (not stars just now)but all
could change in an hour or three. We'll see. But above all and thank
heavens - no wind.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk