Old 14-11-2003, 06:12 PM
JP

Default Wait till next year

I moved into a much larger house on a much smaller yard. I went from a
garden that was pushing 1000 sq ft to a yard that is only 30 ft across,
with a sidewalk running down the middle. This leaves me with an area
that is only 10 ft wide. There is no way that I will ever be able to
grow like I used to. Now I must start planning, rotating, and basicly
kick my hobby up a couple of notches to semi-work.

Any tips or ideas on how to keep it fun? Thanks.

Old 14-11-2003, 07:02 PM
rosie read and post

don't forget to count on some CONTAINER GARDENING!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

it ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.
............................b.clinton

Old 14-11-2003, 11:12 PM
simy1

JP wrote in message news:cS8tb.1889$Dw6.15735@attbi_s02...
I moved into a much larger house on a much smaller yard. I went from a
garden that was pushing 1000 sq ft to a yard that is only 30 ft across,
with a sidewalk running down the middle. This leaves me with an area
that is only 10 ft wide. There is no way that I will ever be able to
grow like I used to. Now I must start planning, rotating, and basicly
kick my hobby up a couple of notches to semi-work.

Any tips or ideas on how to keep it fun? Thanks.

1) give up low yield veggies, concentrate on high yielders. To me
these are
collards, tomatoes, zucchini, chard, and all sorts of cut-and-come
again greens, plus onions and garlic. I also have some permanent
smaller beds with herbs.
2) interplant, interplant, interplant. Lettuce and radicchio, lettuce
and garlic, arugula and garlic, arugula and collard, garlic and
radicchio, basically any fast green + anything letting some sun or
anything with a slower rate of growth
3) plant so that mature plants will completely shade the soil
(intensive gardening) to save space (and water and weeding)
4) compost under the tomatoes and zucchinis and collards. More
intensive gardening requires more nutrients. Save time, effort and
space by using the space under plants to compost. First pour in the
unfinished organic matter, then plant right through it (then keep
adding to it one bucket at a time). Typically you will have a
composted bed at the end of season. You will also avoid having idle
beds. If the compost is not finished yet, that is where you should
plant your garlic, the unfinished compost will protect it over the
winter.
5) start as many plants as possible. Starting plants in flats gives
you an extra six weeks of growing season. All the double crops I am
able to pull are with the help of tray-started seedlings.

You will have, as you say, to plan. In time you will see how you can
use space more efficiently. I wish myself that I could get 1000 sqft
and more sunlight in my garden area.
Old 16-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Patskywriter

wow, 30 feet across is still more than what i had in chicago! i really enjoyed
gardening in chicago, even though i had a small yard. my entire yard was a
fruit/vegetable garden--no grass allowed. i squeezed in four dwarf
trees--apple, plum, and two peaches, and also grew tomatoes, cucumbers,
raspberries, mint, broccoli, beans, peas, and cantaloupe (plus flowers). it was
immense fun--the hardest part was amending the soil i started out with, but it
turned out great!

pat