Old 22-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Down Under On The Bucket Farm

Default ID-ing a larvae(?)

Hi, everybody,

Out on my concrete porch, between my plant buckets, where there
is, of course, a bit of water and excess soil, I just saw some
suspicious creepy-crawlies:

Medium-ight brownish in colour.

Body looks slightly ribbed in texture (like a slater/rolly-
polly/pill-bug/etc.)

Maybe 1.5 cm long, and .5 cm wide for the main body.

Has a thin tail, about as long as the main body.

Didn't see any legs.

Sitting in blobs of several, but started individually crawling a
few centemetres along the concrete. Crawling was worm-like, with
that sort of wave through their bodies.

Sorry, I don't have any pix.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz
Old 22-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Down Under On The Bucket Farm said:

Out on my concrete porch, between my plant buckets, where there
is, of course, a bit of water and excess soil, I just saw some
suspicious creepy-crawlies:

Medium-ight brownish in colour.

Body looks slightly ribbed in texture (like a slater/rolly-
polly/pill-bug/etc.)

Maybe 1.5 cm long, and .5 cm wide for the main body.

Has a thin tail, about as long as the main body.

Didn't see any legs.

Well, no legs points to fly larva of some sort. But don't assume
that means they are baddies. Could be beneficial: some species
of robber fly. I'm thinking robber fly, because that's what the weird/
ribbed/nubbly-with-a-sort-of-tail brownish fly larvae I've found before
seemed most likely to have been.

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/benefi...bber_flies.htm

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 27-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Salty Thumb

Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote in
:

Hi, everybody,

Out on my concrete porch, between my plant buckets, where there
is, of course, a bit of water and excess soil, I just saw some
suspicious creepy-crawlies:

Medium-ight brownish in colour.

Body looks slightly ribbed in texture (like a slater/rolly-
polly/pill-bug/etc.)

Maybe 1.5 cm long, and .5 cm wide for the main body.

Has a thin tail, about as long as the main body.

Didn't see any legs.

Sitting in blobs of several, but started individually crawling a
few centemetres along the concrete. Crawling was worm-like, with
that sort of wave through their bodies.

Sorry, I don't have any pix.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

You'll probably have better results asking in sci.bio.entomology, esp. if
this is an Aussie/NZ critter.