Old 02-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Juliets/Romas--Drying?

I'm seeing posts about Juliet tomatoes being compared to Romas.

I love the Romas for drying and snack on them during the winter months.
(Haven't ever gotten enough dried to want to give up the "tomato candy"
for cooking.)

Question:
Has anyone dried both Romas and Juliets? How do they compare?

So that I will actually give up some of the dehydrated Romas for cooking
next winter, plans are to plan many, many plants this year but if Juliets
are just as good dried, then a few of them sprinkled in might be good as
well. I understand dried tomatoes in home-made noodles help make the best
spaghetti on the planet but haven't been willing to put those treasures
anywhere but in my mouth; would likely be more generous with more dried.
Of course, that is only one of many uses for dried tomatoes!

Glenna

Old 02-02-2003, 10:24 PM
SugarChile

I dry all kinds of tomatoes, whatever I grow, including 'novelties', and
whatever the farmer down the road has on sale. I use an electric
dehydrator, so the extra moisture content of the non-paste tomatoes isn't
really a concern. The big meaty slicing tomatoes I slice first, about a
half-inch thick. Dried, they are good crumbled into soups and stews, etc.
Cherry tomatoes get sliced in half. They are probably my favorite; the high
sugar content makes them very tasty, and the halves hold together when
cooked for a nice burst of flavor in the mouth. They are especially good in
chili.

I haven't ever dried Juliets, as far as I know, but what have you got to
lose?

cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

news:fc.003d094101885151003d094101885151.1885181@p mug.org...

Old 03-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Setzler

Like Sue I have dried every tomato I grow and that is a lot of different kinds.
There are a couple of kinds of tomatoes grown specifically for drying. Principe
Borgese is one and Enchantment is another. I have a new one this year I think,
that I can't remember the name. I also have dried the big meaty slicing
tomatoes. They all work and dry well. I slice the as Sue did, below, or quarter
or cut in 1/8ths depending on the size. I grow, Hog heart, Giant Italian Paste,
South American Banana, Italian Gold, and Orange Banana (it is nice ot have
different colors dried) and quite a few others. All dry well, and are delicious.
I have been peeling the most of the time and then there are no peels floating in
my spaghetti sauce. I powder the dried ones for thickening in sauces. Then you
don't have to boil for hours. But with all those and dozens more I can't
remember, I have never grown Juliet, either.

susan

Old 04-02-2003, 04:34 AM
Cricket

By far, the best drying tomato I've ever grown has been Principe Borghese,
in my humble opinion, they dry quickly and just have the perfect
flavor/texture for it. Roams are okay, but clearly not as good for flavor.
I'll need to try Juliets, I'll let you know some other year, yum yum yum.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket