Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Down Under On The Bucket Farm

Default Tilling Depth?

Hi Everybody,

I have found a small space with (I *think*) just regular dirt,
etc. I can only use, perhaps, one "row" of this space for
vegetables. I am willing to put in whatever will fit (lettuce,
broccoli, etc), except anything needing a wide "cage" support,
like tomatoes (I already have those in buckets.)

I can protect this area with a border of "garden edging" if
needed. The area has been neglected for years, with just regular
grass, etc, and I suppose that the soil is compacted, etc.

So my question is... How deep should I till down through this
soil (I will be doing it by hand)? I figure that the need is to
turn over the grass, etc, and fluff up the soil for veggies to
have a good root-pushing environment. I plan on mixing in a bit
of manure and blood-n-bone meal to feed it.

So... How deep to till?

Thanks in advance!

-V

--