Old 22-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Andrew Watson

Default Ants on Citrus

Hi everyone. I trust that the wealth of knowledge available will be able to
assist me here.

We have just planted 4 foot citrus trees in our 1 acre allotment. I have
noticed ants clambering all over the trees, particularly up near new flowers
and leaves. fruit buds are dropping, although this is the first season the
trees have been in the ground. DO I HAVE A PROBLEM? ARE THE ANTS GOING
TO HARM MY TREES OR THE FRUITING CAPACITY OF THEM?

I look forward to any assistance
Cheers

Andy

Old 22-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Rick

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:45:31 +1100, "Andrew Watson"
wrote:

Hi everyone. I trust that the wealth of knowledge available will be able to
assist me here.

We have just planted 4 foot citrus trees in our 1 acre allotment. I have
noticed ants clambering all over the trees, particularly up near new flowers
and leaves. fruit buds are dropping, although this is the first season the
trees have been in the ground. DO I HAVE A PROBLEM? ARE THE ANTS GOING
TO HARM MY TREES OR THE FRUITING CAPACITY OF THEM?

I look forward to any assistance
Cheers

Andy

I don't know about down under, but in Ariz. this was very common. The
ants actually brought aphids to the citrus trees and "farmed" the
aphids. We used to spray the trees in the orchards, but never
bothered with those in the yard, which still seemed to produce just
fine.

Old 22-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Tuckermor

The ants wont, but they may be "ranching" scale insects, which can slow the
tree down if they get out of hand. If you feel you need to intervene, check at
a good nursery for a very light horticultural oil and instructions to control
the scale. If the trees are still small and you have the patience, you can
just rub the scale off with your hands--but watch out for thorns!