Old 12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Kae Verens

Default zones?

I keep seeing references to zones.

What are they?

I'm in Ireland, for example, what zone would that correspond to? I never see any mention of this in any books I've bought.

Kae

Old 12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Kae Verens said:

I keep seeing references to zones.

What are they?

A method of catagorizing the severity of winter weather, in terms of minimum
temperature only.

I'm in Ireland, for example, what zone would that correspond to? I never see any
mention of this in any books I've bought.

Zone 8 (with some zone 9 on the coasts).

Zone 8 (15 F) (-9 C)
Zone 9 (25 F) (-4 C)

You should be able to grow camellias...

See:

http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/eurozoner.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 14-01-2004, 03:02 AM
b&k

Looks like Zone 9 (coastal) or 8 (Interior) Try this link:
http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/l...146163246.html

Old 14-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Kae Verens

b&k wrote:
Looks like Zone 9 (coastal) or 8 (Interior) Try this link:
http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/l...146163246.html

looks like (from all the maps referred to) I'm middling on 8/9. I'll assume 8, as where I am (Monaghan) is definitely warmer than where I used to live (Dublin).

thanks guys

Kae

Old 14-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:25:36 +0000, Kae Verens
wrote:

I keep seeing references to zones.

What are they?

The USDA (US Min of Ag) has developed a map of "plant hardiness" zones
based on average minimum temperature range. Sometimes these are also
associated with first and last frost dates. It's used as a rough
(very) guide to what sort of plants will successfully survive winter
temperatures in a given area. There are more detailed maps taking
micro-climate conditions into account published by a company that used
to specialize in western (US) gardens, but has now ventured into other
areas. These are the "Sunset (magazine) zones."

USDA zones run from 1 (-50F) for Fairbanks, Alaska to 11 (greater than
40F) for Honolulu, Hawaii. They hedge their bets a bit with a-b
sub-designations. I.e., the SE corner of Virginia is either 7b or 8a
(minimums between 5 and 15F.