Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
robohop

Default Help w/seed planting climate zones

Hello folks,

While working on using seeds for all my flower gardens this year, I'm
becoming a confused by the packaging instructions on some of these
packages.

I'm in SE Michigan, planting carnations, delphinium, poppies and such.
The seed packs for these varieties say:

"plant directly into outdoor soil and soon as the ground can be
worked".

Then on the little planting zone graphic, it shows proper planting
time for my area in "May-June"). (typically, you're safe from a late
frost after 1st or 2nd week in May here.)

But those instructions are contradictory ... the ground is workable
now (march 29th) and some perennials are already coming up.

But we're a good ways from May.

Advice please?

Thanks much,
rob anderson
Old 01-04-2003, 09:56 PM
bthache

Rob, planting zones are only guidelines, mainly for last frost of the
season. If your soil is workable now, you could probably plant but be ready
for frost protection for a while although even for your area, it seems a
little early for planting.
--
Tammie
Zone 2b-3a Far Northern Ontario

om...

Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 PM
robohop

"bthache" wrote in message ...
Rob, planting zones are only guidelines, mainly for last frost of the
season. If your soil is workable now, you could probably plant but be ready
for frost protection for a while although even for your area, it seems a
little early for planting.
--
Tammie
Zone 2b-3a Far Northern Ontario
http://community.webshots.com/user/_tammie57

"robohop" wrote in message
om...
Hello folks,snip

thanks for your advice Tammie .... we'll see how it goes, I hope to go
"all seed" this year,

best,
rob anderson

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Climate zones... Rich Allen Bonsai 2 24-11-2003 06:44 PM
[IBC] Climate zones... Rich Allen Bonsai 0 24-11-2003 03:24 AM
Climate & plant hardiness zones John S. DeBoo Gardening 6 16-04-2003 02:56 AM
Climate zones John S. DeBoo Gardening 4 14-04-2003 01:56 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM