Old 05-03-2004, 12:55 AM
harry411

Default more garlic questions

Greetings all my question is my garlic
plants are covered with 6" of straw
they are starting to pop out of the straw
should I remove the straw or leave it for
weed control. thanks

Harry

zone 6 new york
18 days till spring
Old 05-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Steve

Leave it. Removing it now will either damage the garlic plants or at
least make them floppy. If they are making it through the straw OK,
it should work out well leaving it as mulch.

Steve

Old 05-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Kae Verens

harry411 wrote:
Greetings all my question is my garlic
plants are covered with 6" of straw
they are starting to pop out of the straw
should I remove the straw or leave it for
weed control. thanks

Harry

zone 6 new york
18 days till spring

I wonder if I should have done that. I planted my garlic in september,
and they're growing alright, but I wonder if the mulch idea provides
"better" garlic?

Luckily, I've had very little problems with weeds since I started with
my raised beds. The weeds I had beforehand were mostly root-spreading,
and the pathways cut their propogation down amazingly quickly.

Is it general advice to mulch garlic? If so, how soon after planting?
Should I wait for the garlic to start shooting? Is straw the preferred
mulch, or could I use organic kitchen waste (as a short-cut to
composting) covered by wood shavings?

Kae

Old 05-03-2004, 01:59 PM
simy1

Kae Verens wrote in message ...
harry411 wrote:
Greetings all my question is my garlic
plants are covered with 6" of straw
they are starting to pop out of the straw
should I remove the straw or leave it for
weed control. thanks

Harry

zone 6 new york
18 days till spring

I wonder if I should have done that. I planted my garlic in september,
and they're growing alright, but I wonder if the mulch idea provides
"better" garlic?

Luckily, I've had very little problems with weeds since I started with
my raised beds. The weeds I had beforehand were mostly root-spreading,
and the pathways cut their propogation down amazingly quickly.

you probably should have done that. As you note, weeds can be a
problem for garlic, so the mulch helps. Also, garlic needs consistent
moisture during its maximum growth period (April-June), and that is
helped by mulch as well. Yes, it is general advice to mulch garlic in
the fall. Just use mulch that shoots can penetrate (that is, wood
chips or straw). Large leaves, if matted, can prove too hard for
garlic to poke through.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
more garlic questions harry411 Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 12:40 AM
more garlic questions harry411 Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 12:40 AM