Old 25-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Anonymous

Default Compost

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:51:17 +0200, Henriette Kress wrote:

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

What do you do with the diseased plants? Toss them into the trash? Burn
them? Bury them really deep?

Take your pick.

Henriette

This contradicts much of what you have just been told.

If you know how to reliably make a compost pile 'go hot', compost them in
a hot pile. Keep that compost separate from any other compost until it has
aged 2-3 years. Apply as per usual.

Diseases have specific requirements for life and the heat / steam of a
compost pile rarely matches what they were hoping to find. Moreover, even
even bacteria and viruses have enemies and they will likely encounter them
in a healthy pile.

I refer you to http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/humanure.html
for further discussion of the topic matter.

Composting, done intelligently, knows few limits.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Old 25-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Henriette Kress

Anonymous wrote:

If you know how to reliably make a compost pile 'go hot', compost them in
a hot pile. Keep that compost separate from any other compost until it has
aged 2-3 years. Apply as per usual.

Do you have _room_ in your garden for 3 full-sized compost heaps, so your
hot heap has time to mature? I don't, and turn and spread compost 2x/year:
after thaw and before frost, putting everything that's not yet done into
the foundation of the new compost heap.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG * * * * * * * * * * *Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 26-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Loki

il Wed, 24 Mar 2004 22:55:13 -0500, Anonymous ha scritto:

This contradicts much of what you have just been told.

If you know how to reliably make a compost pile 'go hot', compost them in
a hot pile. Keep that compost separate from any other compost until it has
aged 2-3 years. Apply as per usual.

Diseases have specific requirements for life and the heat / steam of a
compost pile rarely matches what they were hoping to find. Moreover, even
even bacteria and viruses have enemies and they will likely encounter them
in a healthy pile.

I refer you to http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/humanure.html
for further discussion of the topic matter.

Composting, done intelligently, knows few limits.

That may be so. But I know that I for one have yet to create the
perfect compost pile. And since archaelogists are finding bubonic
plague in cemetaries all these centuries later, i think I'll keep
burning diseased plants and satisfy the pyromaniac in myself at the
same time :-)

--
Cheers,