Old 22-03-2004, 01:44 PM
JP

Default Compost

Ok, the following question might sound weird... I know that I should
put grass-clipping, leaves and fruits and vegetables cutting... But,
what kind of other food item can you put in a compost pile? Is there
any items you SHOULD NOT put in the compost pile? (I.e.: Old milk,
yogurts or cheese? left over from beer or wine bottle? left over from
soda bottle? what about meat left overs?)
My initial answer would be no, but I was wondering if there is any
expert opinion on this weird and specific request..
Cheers!
Save Antartica!
Old 22-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Henriette Kress

JP wrote:

Ok, the following question might sound weird... I know that I should
put grass-clipping, leaves and fruits and vegetables cutting... But,
what kind of other food item can you put in a compost pile? Is there
any items you SHOULD NOT put in the compost pile? (I.e.: Old milk,
yogurts or cheese? left over from beer or wine bottle? left over from
soda bottle? what about meat left overs?)

If you want rats, foxes, cougars, bears, lynxes etc. (depending on where
you live, of course, but rats are a given anywhere) digging over your
compost, sure, go ahead, add meat, fish, cheese, the works.

If you like wasps and the like, sure, put sugary and alcoholic drinks into
your compost. If you'd rather not use a full beekeeper suit when working
your compost pour the drink down the drain instead.

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed, after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Also, salt and cooking oils (in large amounts) will kill off worms and
other useful compost organisms.

Non-organically grown citrus fruit are _loaded_ with *cides; nothing but
mold will touch them. You'll find them as still whole mold bombs _months_
after everything else has turned to prime compost.

Finally, some perennial weeds thrive in compost that doesn't get hot
enough to kill'em off. Keep it tight, don't let it get too dry, and you
won't have those all over your previously pristine garden.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG * * * * * * * * * * *Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 22-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Ray Drouillard

"Henriette Kress" wrote in message
news
JP wrote:

Ok, the following question might sound weird... I know that I

should
put grass-clipping, leaves and fruits and vegetables cutting... But,
what kind of other food item can you put in a compost pile? Is

there
any items you SHOULD NOT put in the compost pile? (I.e.: Old milk,
yogurts or cheese? left over from beer or wine bottle? left over

from
soda bottle? what about meat left overs?)

If you want rats, foxes, cougars, bears, lynxes etc. (depending on

where
you live, of course, but rats are a given anywhere) digging over your
compost, sure, go ahead, add meat, fish, cheese, the works.

Don't forget 'possums.

We never worry about that, though. We just figure that we're feeding
the local wildlife. Of course, the compost pile is well away from the
house.

Another solution is to use one of those commercial composters that won't
let the critters get inside.

If you like wasps and the like, sure, put sugary and alcoholic drinks

into
your compost. If you'd rather not use a full beekeeper suit when

working
your compost pour the drink down the drain instead.

Yellowjackets used to be a problem under the pear tree. Compared to
that, the compost pile was never a problem. Also, if you leave them
alone, they'll leave you alone.

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put

ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed,

after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

Also, salt and cooking oils (in large amounts) will kill off worms and
other useful compost organisms.

OK, so don't dump the deep-fat fryer there. :-)

Non-organically grown citrus fruit are _loaded_ with *cides; nothing

but
mold will touch them. You'll find them as still whole mold bombs

_months_
after everything else has turned to prime compost.

Modern 'cides are designed to be biodegradable. Let the compost pile do
its stuff and you'll be fine.

Finally, some perennial weeds thrive in compost that doesn't get hot
enough to kill'em off. Keep it tight, don't let it get too dry, and

you
won't have those all over your previously pristine garden.

Annual weeds, too.

Old 22-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Henriette Kress

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed, after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

I'd have named them if I knew what they're called in English.

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

I'd be leary of the rootrot of Jerusalem artichokes, too. And of some
(not all) diseases of roses. And potato pest, but it's possible that I'm
just overcautious on that one.

Henriette

Old 22-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Ray Drouillard

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't

put ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through

unharmed, after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the

various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

I'd have named them if I knew what they're called in English.

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

I'd be leary of the rootrot of Jerusalem artichokes, too. And of some
(not all) diseases of roses. And potato pest, but it's possible that

I'm
just overcautious on that one.

What do you do with the diseased plants? Toss them into the trash?
Burn them? Bury them really deep?

I have tossed smut (No, not that kind of smut! I'm talking about the
black stuff that grows on corn plants) into the burn pile. I have also
tossed it into the back of the property because nobody grows corn near
there.

Ray Drouillard

Old 22-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Henriette Kress

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

What do you do with the diseased plants? Toss them into the trash?
Burn them? Bury them really deep?

Take your pick.

Henriette

Old 22-03-2004, 08:33 PM
shazzbat

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put

ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed,

after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

I'd have named them if I knew what they're called in English.

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

That sounds like what we call club root in UK. Best avoided by crop
rotation, but that is a good practice anyway, simple logic dictates.

And potato pest, but it's possible that I'm
just overcautious on that one.

Blight?

I would say don't put anything diseased in the compost, if in doubt burn it,
but it doesn't do to be too paranoid, you don't want to worry yourself into
an early grave. After all you can't avoid every pest and disease in the
world.

And anyway if you did, you'd get run over by a truck.

Steve
http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

..

Old 22-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Henriette Kress

"shazzbat" wrote:
"Henriette Kress" wrote in message

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

That sounds like what we call club root in UK. Best avoided by crop
rotation, but that is a good practice anyway, simple logic dictates.

Crop rotation, eh.

It stays in the soil for 10 years, and any cruciferous weed will carry
it forward. Best not get it in the first place, as it's impossible to
keep a non-cruciferous vegetable garden for 10 years. You might not
_plant_ radishes rockets cabbages etc., but you'll _get_ shepherd's
purse Thlaspi yellow rockets etc. anyway.

And if you do get clubroot: whatever you do, don't put the diseased
plants into your compost.

And potato pest, but it's possible that I'm
just overcautious on that one.

Blight?

That's the one.

Henriette

Old 22-03-2004, 09:35 PM
shazzbat

"shazzbat" wrote:
"Henriette Kress" wrote in message

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

That sounds like what we call club root in UK. Best avoided by crop
rotation, but that is a good practice anyway, simple logic dictates.

Crop rotation, eh.

It stays in the soil for 10 years, and any cruciferous weed will carry
it forward. Best not get it in the first place, as it's impossible to
keep a non-cruciferous vegetable garden for 10 years. You might not
_plant_ radishes rockets cabbages etc., but you'll _get_ shepherd's
purse Thlaspi yellow rockets etc. anyway.

Agreed. That's what I meant by avoid it, rather than have to deal with it.
We'll put it down to language differences. Not that your English isn't
superior to my Finnish.

Shall I tell you how much Finnish I speak?

Shall I tell you again?

:-))

Never miss a chance to recycle an old joke.

Steve

Old 22-03-2004, 10:04 PM
simy1

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

[...]

I take all suspicious material (squashes, tomatoes, and cabbages) to a
place on my lawn, 50 to 100 ft from the garden (these are places which
have trouble supporting a thick lawn), and mow it into bits. It
becomes grass eventually. If i want some grass clippings for mulch, I
take them from other parts of the yard. I also precompost (rot)
kitchen scraps in a garbage can before adding to compost pile. Yes, I
have a lot of spce, but also a lot of clean leaves to cover the mess
before anyone notices the odor.
Old 23-03-2004, 04:08 AM
belly

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:15:41 -0500 in
, "Ray Drouillard"
graced the world with this thought:

(No, not that kind of smut! I'm talking about the
black stuff that grows on corn plants) into the burn pile.

you know there's people that pay big money for that....
Old 23-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Loki

il Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:06:53 +0200, Henriette Kress ha scritto:

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed, after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

I'd have named them if I knew what they're called in English.

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

Love the name! :-) "Clubroot' here.

I have a basic rule of thumb, anything with viruses or diseases gets
burnt at the end of its life, or weed seeds that I'm tired of. The
books talk of autumn cleanup to remove the dropped diseased leaves of
plants as a way of reducing the disease.
I've even been known to strip the black spot leaves off the rose
before they drop, to burn them. I've been promising myself to clean
the garden up and spray for rust because it is just getting too
prevalent. Some plants just get coated. It really needs a flame
thrower through the garden to clean it up but I suspect the
neighbours may object.

--
Cheers,