Old 31-03-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Where does a city boy get compost?

A mukluk wearing troll wrote in message . ..
On 29 Mar 2004 06:13:24 -0800, wrote:

I have my compost bin out in the back but i only really filled it up
just as it froze last fall. So i'm not expecting to have a whole lot
ready for this year. Even if everything in there composted instantly
it still wouldn't be much.

I have a new garden plot (grown one season of veggies so far) that is
pretty much clay with the small amount of topsoil i dumped on it last
year. All the advice i've got is to dig a lot of compost into this
plot. So where does a city bound veggie gardener get compost?

People have suggested a few places - here's a few mo

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

1. Does your city have an industrial composting program yet? The City
of Toronto (Ontario, Canada) does, and you can take away as much
compost as you can shovel into your vehicle from the pick up point at
Centennial Park in Etobicoke.

Turns our my city (Waterloo, Ontario) is giving out free compost and
mulch to residents on a particular weekend in May. Bring your own
container and up to X bushels per person. Can't remember exactly what
X is.

And since i originally posted this i've recieved a bunch of spring
flyers advertizing the soil/mulch/compost in bulk or yard bags from
miscellanous companies. Last year trucks could easily drive through
and undeveloped field and dump stuff right at the end of my backyard.
That's how i got my first yardbag of soil. It was easy to move it the
few yards to the garden with a wheelbarrow. But recently someone
started development of part of that area and now trucks cannot get to
my backyard. Having stuff dumped on the driveway is the only option.
I'm the middle unit of a 3 unit townhouse with a really long, skinny
backyard. My garden is 200 feet from the driveway. That would be a
long trip especially since it requires going around neighbours.

Even if i do find a good source, getting it to the garden will always
be a hassle. I guess i'm just screwed :-)
Old 01-04-2004, 07:59 AM
shazzbat

My garden is 200 feet from the driveway. That would be a
long trip especially since it requires going around neighbours.

Even if i do find a good source, getting it to the garden will always
be a hassle. I guess i'm just screwed :-)

No, helicopter it in with one of those dumping arrangements. :-))

Old 01-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Warren

shazzbat wrote:

No, helicopter it in with one of those dumping arrangements. :-))

If you do that, be sure to have someone unsuspecting wandering out in
the yard when they dump the manure. A video tape of a load of manure
falling out of the sky on someone is sure to fetch big bucks. Maybe even
enough to pay for the helicopter delivery.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html