Old 07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Rick Charnes

Default Rain-collector for watering?

My house has no outdoor faucet to attach a hose to, and I'd like to buy
something that will collect and store rainwater that I can use to water
my garden. I'm not thinking of anything large like a cistern, but
something smaller. Does something like this exist? Any ideas where I'd
purchase such an item?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Rick Charnes wrote:

My house has no outdoor faucet to attach a hose to, and I'd like to buy
something that will collect and store rainwater that I can use to water
my garden. I'm not thinking of anything large like a cistern, but
something smaller. Does something like this exist? Any ideas where I'd
purchase such an item?

my municipality sells these things. check yours?

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engs...ral/rainbarrel
s.htm
Old 07-04-2004, 11:03 PM
belly

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:35:59 GMT in
, Not the Karl
Orff graced the world with this thought:

In article ,
Rick Charnes wrote:

My house has no outdoor faucet to attach a hose to, and I'd like to buy
something that will collect and store rainwater that I can use to water
my garden. I'm not thinking of anything large like a cistern, but
something smaller. Does something like this exist? Any ideas where I'd
purchase such an item?

my municipality sells these things. check yours?

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engs...ral/rainbarrel
s.htm

Very nice... decent price, too.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Bpyboy

I have a system that uses a series of 6 55 gallon plastic drums (they were
lactic acid barrels from a local cheese company). I rigged them up using PVC
fittings and pipe dope/cement to build them in series of 2 tanks connected at
the bottom, then a spigot on each bank of 2. They are all connected at the
top, so when the rain (from my downspout) overfills the first 2, it dumps over
into the next 2, and then into the last 2. This way, if something fails, you
only loose 2 tanks, and are still operational.

Note-- that is one hell of a lot of weight, and since it's under gravity feed,
I had a freind build a steel rack behind my garage to keep them about 3' off
the ground.

Also, The "bung" on the tanks is mounted on the bottom, so you can get rid of
leaves and gunk if it collects there. It works like a dream. I usually have
at least one of the banks of 2 with an old pillow case of manure for occasional
feeding of the plants (manure tea).

Just a thought.

John

ps, yeah, my best friend is an engineer, and yes, my fiance and neighbors think
I lost my mind!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:32 AM
James Mayer

On 07 Apr 2004 21:59:15 GMT, (Bpyboy) wrote:

[...]

I have an expandable system of 18 55 gallon drums, with an
additional 4 collection barrels at my downspouts. The drums are
upright and tapped at the centers with dip tubes to the bottoms. They
fill from a manifold system from the collection barrels. that have
shutoff valves. Each holding drum has a "y" shutoff for filling and
dispersal. The shutoff is turned off when full and back on when each
individual drum is empty so that if it rains, they will refill. I
also have an overflow on the manifold that dumps excess water to the
yard when they system is full. It takes less than 1/2 inch of rain on
my roof to fill the whole system from bone dry.

I am an electronics engineering technician.

Old 08-04-2004, 05:03 PM

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:16:11 -0400, Rick Charnes
wrote:

My house has no outdoor faucet to attach a hose to, and I'd like to buy
something that will collect and store rainwater that I can use to water
my garden. I'm not thinking of anything large like a cistern, but
something smaller. Does something like this exist? Any ideas where I'd
purchase such an item?

Sure. Very pricey!

http://tinyurl.com/2qglg

Or you can just buy a large garbage pail for about ten
bucks, and siphon the water out. Or two garbage pails.

Pat