Old 17-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Nick

Default cover crop for asparagus

I have a 40' x 12' asparagus patch. Has anyone tried using a cover crop,
like buckwheat, for weed control?

Nick

Old 17-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Katra

In article . net,
"Nick" wrote:

I have a 40' x 12' asparagus patch. Has anyone tried using a cover crop,
like buckwheat, for weed control?

Nick

I grow catnip in my asparagus bed. ;-)

Works for me..... It' a mint so it takes over. The asparagus grows right
up thru it.

If you let the female asparagus's grow up and fern out, they tend to
shade out the weeds anyway.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 17-04-2004, 07:42 PM
simy1

"Nick" wrote in message link.net...
I have a 40' x 12' asparagus patch. Has anyone tried using a cover crop,
like buckwheat, for weed control?

Nick

you will be better off covering the patch with wood chips. Dandelions
and other taprooted weeds which are already there will push through,
but you will at once dispatch those that propagate by seed.
Old 17-04-2004, 07:42 PM
JRYezierski

Just let it go to fern at the end of the season.That will prevent most of
the weeds but you will still need to weed a little now and than.
Other methods ,putting plastic down,other methods of covering up the isles
will cost time/money and you will still get weeds coming up among the
"grass" so just let it go to fern which will bush out nicly and keep
moisture in and weeds down besides looking great.
We used to grow for the Boston Market so cost and ease for "aspergrass"
care we have lots of expirence.
Jerome
ink.net...

Old 17-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Nartker

Just let it go to fern at the end of the season.That will prevent most of
the weeds but you will still need to weed a little now and than.
Other methods ,putting plastic down,other methods of covering up the isles
will cost time/money and you will still get weeds coming up among the
"grass" so just let it go to fern which will bush out nicly and keep
moisture in and weeds down besides looking great.
We used to grow for the Boston Market so cost and ease for "aspergrass"
care we have lots of expirence.
Jerome
"Nick" wrote in message
link.net...
I have a 40' x 12' asparagus patch. Has anyone tried using a cover crop,
like buckwheat, for weed control?

Nick

Why would corn gluten, not work to supress seed germination ?

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

Old 17-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Nick

I have heard of something called "weed and feed" that is supposed to be
an oragnic product that uses corn gluten to suppress weeds. I haven't
found it yet but I'm thinking of using it in the garden between beds.
Has anyone else used this product?

Nick

"Nartker" wrote in message
Just let it go to fern at the end of the season.That will prevent

most of
the weeds but you will still need to weed a little now and than.
Other methods ,putting plastic down,other methods of covering up the

isles
will cost time/money and you will still get weeds coming up among the
"grass" so just let it go to fern which will bush out nicly and keep
moisture in and weeds down besides looking great.
We used to grow for the Boston Market so cost and ease for

"aspergrass"
care we have lots of expirence.
Jerome
"Nick" wrote in message
link.net...
I have a 40' x 12' asparagus patch. Has anyone tried using a cover

crop,
like buckwheat, for weed control?

Nick

Why would corn gluten, not work to supress seed germination ?

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

When to stop picking asparagus/asparagus beetle Janet Galpin United Kingdom 2 12-06-2006 08:47 AM
Where are you, those who grow asparagus? Was Asparagus - a weed? Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 06-05-2004 10:13 AM
Where are you, those who grow asparagus? Was Asparagus - a gary davis United Kingdom 0 04-05-2004 10:07 PM
Cover crop?? Jim North Carolina 2 13-11-2003 01:14 PM
Cover crop?? Jim North Carolina 2 17-10-2003 02:42 AM