Old 08-05-2004, 05:02 AM
gho

Default Sweet potato question- thank you!

Ahh, Ok. So far so good then. I have them in raised rows about 6 inches
high, 18 inches or so apart. Plenty of room to spread all they want.
Thanks for the info!

Dwayne wrote in message
I plant mine on a raised row, about 12 inches tall and flat on the top, 4

6 inches wide. That way I can lay a soaker hose on top and plant the

slips
beside it. You don't have to over water it, just regularly.

Dig them before the first frost. If the plant gets frosted, it will make
the potatoes bitter. If you are going to have a frost too early for you

dig them first, cut off the plants down to the ground the night before the
frost.

Then you have to cure them before storage. This requires laying them out

in
a room that has 80 degrees F and 80 to 90 percent humidity for 7 to 10

days.
If you cant provide those conditions, do the best you can, but leave them
for an extra week or two This allows the starch to turn into sugar.

Don't
store them anywhere they will be colder than 55 degrees F. This is

supposed
to cause them to change back to starch, and this time it cant be reversed.

Have fun and if you need to you can contact me directly.

Dwayne

This is my first year of growing sweet potatoes. I keep reading to

grow
them like potatoes. Now, do I hill soil up and around the vine like

potatoe
plants?
I have never seen them grown and sounds like they are to spread like

winter
squash vines! Cannot find the answer to this. Just not picturing it

in
my
mind. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2004, 06:03 AM
nswong

Hi gho,

Ahh, Ok. So far so good then. I have them in raised rows about 6

inches
high, 18 inches or so apart. Plenty of room to spread all they

want.
Thanks for the info!

Stolon of sweet potato will root at the point it contact with soil,
and develop to small sweet potato. If we pull those stolon up to
prevent it rooting, we will get a *very* big(and the only one per
plant) below the main stem.

Year 1979, I get a three foot long sweet potato using this way.

For sweet potato, it's very important that the soil must be crumbly
and contain a lot of potassium. Wood ash do work perfect for me.

Regards,
Wong