Old 19-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Danny Byrne

Default Russian Garlic Babies

I grow Russian/Elephant garlic quite well in my mountain garden at Mount
Tamborine in Queensland, Australia.

I have tried a couple of times to plant the little brown "bulbils" that are
attached to the garlic bulb when dug at the end of season ..but no luck.

This year I soaked them in water overnight to see if that would make any
difference but none have appeared as yet.

Does anyone have a trick for getting these little "babies" to grow?

Thanks so much in advance for any help or advice....Danny

Old 20-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Greg Naylor

Steve is right. Thy will grow into egg sized bulbs this year ready for
harvest at Christmas time. Plant them out next May and they will produce the
final cloved product.

Greg (Victoria Aust)

"Steve" wrote in message
I see no one answered yet. Can I assume you realize they are bulbs
and, as with just about all bulbs, you plant them in the fall and
they grow in the spring? Not that I've ever grown this type of
garlic myself. You say none have appeared yet. Isn't it still fall
there?

Steve

Old 20-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Mark

"Danny Byrne" wrote in message ...
I grow Russian/Elephant garlic quite well in my mountain garden at Mount
Tamborine in Queensland, Australia.

I have tried a couple of times to plant the little brown "bulbils" that are
attached to the garlic bulb when dug at the end of season ..but no luck.

This year I soaked them in water overnight to see if that would make any
difference but none have appeared as yet.

Does anyone have a trick for getting these little "babies" to grow?

Thanks so much in advance for any help or advice....Danny

I grew elephant garlic last year and had several of these little, hard
bulblets. I typically just threw them away, but one evidently fell
off and stayed in that bed over the winter. Now I have a small
elephant garlic plant growing there. I'll let it grow this year and
re-plant it this fall with the rest of the elephant garlic.

Mark

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Russian Garlic Danny Byrne Edible Gardening 0 12-09-2004 08:02 AM
Russian Garlic Danny Byrne Edible Gardening 0 12-09-2004 08:02 AM
Babies! - "Dendrobium Babies.jpg" 102.9 KBytes BetsyB Orchids 14 23-03-2004 09:44 PM
Russian sends supplies up to space station [email protected] Ponds 12 04-02-2003 03:06 PM