Old 25-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Jackee

Default Hot caps

I have heard hot caps for tomatoes are very useful. I am a bit confused
though, do I leave them an all of the time? Just at night? Please advise.

Old 26-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Glenna Rose

not.available writes:
I have heard hot caps for tomatoes are very useful. I am a bit confused
though, do I leave them an all of the time? Just at night? Please advise.

When I was a child growing up in eastern Washington, hot caps were quite
common. Because there were fields full of them, I seriously doubt they
were removed and replaced. They were most likely left on until the plant
"outgrew" them; I don't recall ever seeing anyone remove them.

It will be interesting what others have to say.

In past years, for early planted tomatoes in my garden I've placed large
plastic bags (heavy weight purchased at a commercial cleaning supply
store) over the tomato cages at night and removed them during the day,
replacing them late afternoon for that evening. This year, because there
was space below the cage under the plastic bag (cage taller than the bag)
in past years, I chose to cut the end out of the bags and placed them over
the cages so they actually touch the ground, held in place with
clothespins. It's really difficult to know how this year worked compared
with past years since I planted later this year. Ideally, the bag would
have touched the ground enough to be secure while still in tact for a
"roof" over the plant to help hold in heat. I suspect the grass mulch
around the plants has done more than the plastic bags, either year.

Glenna

Old 26-05-2004, 06:07 PM
DaveH

I thought you would have gotten more responses by now.

I've never used hot caps, but I would be inclined to remove them
during the day, especially if it is hot.
DaveH

Old 27-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Jackee

I actually picked the brain of my mom an old time gardener. Here's the
scoop, you put the hot caps and leave them on. Watering around them will be
sufficient, she said to look at the plants just to make sure though. She
leaves them on even until they are tall, cutting the top of the cap and
letting the plant grow on thru for a while longer. Guess I will give it a
try! She always has a great crop of tomatoes.

Old 28-05-2004, 09:07 PM
CyberCafe

Jackee wrote:
I have heard hot caps for tomatoes are very useful. I am a bit confused
though, do I leave them an all of the time? Just at night? Please advise.

Here in Wisconsin we leave them on day and night.

Barb

Old 29-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Bill

DaveH wrote:

I thought you would have gotten more responses by now.

I've never used hot caps, but I would be inclined to remove them
during the day, especially if it is hot.
DaveH

Hot caps are ventilated. They are fine to leave on 24/7 until the temps warm
up.

I pulled mine after the danger of frost was past and stored them for use
next year.

Bill

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
until Liz moulds the caps dully, Zack won't judge any hot foothills English Fat Queer United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:12 PM
are you clean, I mean, arriving beside hot caps Putrid Hungover Barfly United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 11:08 AM