Old 02-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Mary McHugh

Default vent - !#@!#(&$)$# Giant Rodents

I planted my pumpkins in the manure pile. They usually can grow a bit
before the giant rodents (aka deer) find them. In fact, usually the
rodents are content to wait until the female flowers appear, then they
attack.

This year, the night I planted them they got to my little helpless
seedlings before I could fence. Arrgh. At least they didn't get them all.

That thumping noise is the sound of me kicking myself. Next year,
planting and fencing will occur simultaneously.

Vent over.
Thanks.

Mary

Old 02-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Ray Drouillard

"Mary McHugh" wrote in message
I planted my pumpkins in the manure pile. They usually can grow a bit
before the giant rodents (aka deer) find them. In fact, usually the
rodents are content to wait until the female flowers appear, then they
attack.

This year, the night I planted them they got to my little helpless
seedlings before I could fence. Arrgh. At least they didn't get them

all.

That thumping noise is the sound of me kicking myself. Next year,
planting and fencing will occur simultaneously.

Vent over.
Thanks.

Mary

Thanks for the warning! The corn will be up soon, and I have some
electric fencing that will be going around the garden.

Will a low electric fence deter the deer, or will I have to put up
something they can't jump over?

Ray

Old 02-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Graybyrd

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

Thanks for the warning! The corn will be up soon, and I have some
electric fencing that will be going around the garden.

Will a low electric fence deter the deer, or will I have to put up
something they can't jump over?

Ray

Seems as though the electric fence will motivate them to jump that much
higher !

Deer easily clear their own height from a standing jump; you'll need at
least a 6-foot high fence. Orchard owners put up permanent 10-ft high
fences in the Pac NW to keep out the large mule deer (who love apples
even more than horses and mules do.)

Gray
--
Reply to: allen-at-graybyrd.net

Old 03-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Allan Matthews

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:21:06 -0600, Graybyrd wrote:
Put an electric fence around the garden. Put strips of aluminum foil
hanging from the fence wire and put peanut butter on the aluminum foil
strips. They love peanut butter and the lesson will be learned the
first time.

Old 03-06-2004, 02:02 AM
simy1

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message ...

Will a low electric fence deter the deer, or will I have to put up
something they can't jump over?

Ray

my deer may not be as desperate as other deer, but they touched the
wire once (at 4 ft, a few inches above a chain link fence) and stayed
away forever. same for a groundhog whose burrow was 15 ft from the
fence and who did break in a few times before.