Old 04-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Colchester, UK
Red face Raspberries... going yellow

Hello,
The leaves on my raspberry plants have started to turn a very bright yellow - but only in patches. Many of the plants maintain a vigorous green leaf. Fruit growing on both yellow and green areas appears the same and OK. These are late summer/autumn raspberries. they were well mulched with rotted stable manure in April. ome were transplanted to other areas of my allotment, thesae are also yellow. June fruiting raspberries alongside are completely unaffected.

Any ideas/help please?
I am an organic gardener
Old 04-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Steve

Default Raspberries... going yellow

Not just yellow, but bright yellow. ... and only in patches. I hope
you don't have rust:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...rust-pict.html

Steve

--
Biller

Old 05-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Biller said:

Hello,
The leaves on my raspberry plants have started to turn a very bright
yellow - but only in patches. Many of the plants maintain a vigorous
green leaf. Fruit growing on both yellow and green areas appears the
same and OK. These are late summer/autumn raspberries. they were well
mulched with rotted stable manure in April. ome were transplanted to
other areas of my allotment, thesae are also yellow. June fruiting
raspberries alongside are completely unaffected.

I hope that your raspberries don't have virus:

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/departme...ry/leavesstems
/raspleafyellowing.htm

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 05-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Colchester, UK

I hope that your raspberries don't have virus:

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/departme...ry/leavesstems
/raspleafyellowing.htm

I think it may be MOSAIC VIRUS as identified by the r/h picture on the link you provided

thank you for your help...
but now how do I deal with it?
Old 05-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Steve

Plant viruses are not curable. If you are convinced that it's a
virus, you should destroy the affected plants.
By the way, who made the tiny URL for only part of that web site? I
never did get that site to work even after I copied is the part on
the 2nd line. The site came up but all the pictures were missing.

Steve

http://tinyurl.com/32dpx

Old 08-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Biller said:

I think it may be MOSAIC VIRUS as identified by the r/h picture on the
link you provided

As Steve said, if you are sure it is virus the only thing to do is destroy the plants.
(You may want to have the plants diagnosed by professionals before you take this
step.)

The virus is spread from plant to plant by aphids.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Bill

Biller wrote:

I hope that your raspberries don't have virus:

http://tinyurl.com/32dpx
/raspleafyellowing.htm

I think it may be MOSAIC VIRUS as identified by the r/h picture on the
link you provided

thank you for your help...
but now how do I deal with it?
--
Biller

1) destroy the infected plants (preferably by burning or hauling miles away)
2) invest in some aphid predators such as ladybugs or lacewings.
3) it's going to be tough being an organic gardener if the others around you
are killing off the predators with their poisons.