Old 14-06-2004, 04:03 PM
rile

Default Pruning tomato plants

Was wondering if anyone has pruned the bottom couple of stems from
tomato plants with any kind of success? It seems to me that they
never produce anything, are the first to get diseased, and probably
take energy from the growing of the fruit. It would also help get air
in and around the plant to promote drying of the leaves which would
also help prevent disease. I'd like to try it this year if I knew it
would be somewhat successful.
Old 14-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Blues Ma

rile wrote:

Was wondering if anyone has pruned the bottom couple of stems from
tomato plants with any kind of success?* It seems to me that they
never produce anything, are the first to get diseased, and probably
take energy from the growing of the fruit.* It would also help get air
in and around the plant to promote drying of the leaves which would
also help prevent disease.* I'd like to try it this year if I knew it
would be somewhat successful.

I do it automatically* -* every year.** Just as i heap soil up the main
stem
a bit to encourage more / higher root growth.
I also pinch out the sucker shoots that develop between the main stem and
side stems.** There are opposing schools of thought on this practice too,
but my plants always thrive and produce well.

*

Old 14-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Steve

Do it. I do pretty much the same thing. Since I grow my own plants
and have no greenhouse, the lower leaves are often yellowed and I
take them off. I don't plant real deep because I plant through holes
in black plastic. I don't allow new branches to form at the bottom
either because I prefer to grow on poles with a single stem.
How many plants are you growing? If you have several, use your plan
on one end of the group and leave the other end natural. See if it
makes a difference in disease problems. See if it makes a difference
in production.

Steve