Old 22-06-2004, 06:06 PM
nutNhoney

Default Spanish Onions?

I'm growing these for the first time this year. When do you harvest
them in zone 6b? Is there anything special you have to do when you
harvest them? I thought I heard somewhere that you have to leave them
laying on the ground for awhile? I'm not sure about this.
Old 22-06-2004, 09:05 PM
FarmerDill

I'm growing these for the first time this year. When do you harvest
them in zone 6b? Is there anything special you have to do when you
harvest them? I thought I heard somewhere that you have to leave them
laying on the ground for awhile? I'm not sure about this.

Onions are ready to harvest when the tops fall over and turn brown. The easiest
way to dry them is to braid the tops in buches and hang them in a garage or out
building. You can leave on top of ground to dry IF it not the rainy season. I
prefer to get them into a dry shed. Sweet Spanish are only moderate keepers so
plan to use them within 4 months or so.
Old 24-06-2004, 12:02 AM
nutNhoney

FarmerDill wrote:
I'm growing these for the first time this year. When do you harvest
them in zone 6b? Is there anything special you have to do when you
harvest them? I thought I heard somewhere that you have to leave them
laying on the ground for awhile? I'm not sure about this.

Onions are ready to harvest when the tops fall over and turn brown. The easiest
way to dry them is to braid the tops in buches and hang them in a garage or out
building. You can leave on top of ground to dry IF it not the rainy season. I
prefer to get them into a dry shed. Sweet Spanish are only moderate keepers so
plan to use them within 4 months or so.

Thanks for the help!

Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 1 19-09-2003 06:51 AM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:48 PM
Spanish Bluebells Todd J. Gardening 6 28-03-2003 07:32 PM
Biosociopathic Injury: Sunken Tanker Gushes More Oil into Spanish Waters Don Staples alt.forestry 1 26-11-2002 03:16 AM
Biosociopathic Injury: Sunken Tanker Gushes More Oil into Spanish Thomas Lee Elifritz alt.forestry 0 25-11-2002 08:11 AM