Old 24-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Todd J.

Default Spanish Bluebells

Has anyone tried Spanish Bluebells in their garden??? They look like
a good filler for shade/woodland gardens. It looks like they tend to
spread quick maybe even invasive.

I'm in zone 6B.

Thanks

Change the .com to .net to email me
Old 24-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Iris Cohen

Has anyone tried Spanish Bluebells in their garden??? They look like a good
filler for shade/woodland gardens. It looks like they tend to spread quick
maybe even invasive.

I have had some for a few years. They are spreading, but in Zone 5 they are not
invasive. But I gasped when someone in the bonsai group described the murderous
behavior of wisteria in Virginia.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 24-03-2003, 04:20 AM
madgarder

murderous is an understatement. It runs neck and neck with the insidious
kudzu. Kudzu wins hands down, but wisteria will rip the shingles right offa
the roof..............g madgardener

Old 24-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Zemedelec

But I gasped when someone in the bonsai group described the murderous
behavior of wisteria in Virginia.

Iris,

LOL...it must be the Cat's Claw (pretty yellow flowers, will strangle you in
your sleep) of Va.

Leslie in New Orleans

zemedelec
Old 26-03-2003, 12:20 AM
spampot

Todd J. wrote:
Has anyone tried Spanish Bluebells in their garden??? They look like
a good filler for shade/woodland gardens. It looks like they tend to
spread quick maybe even invasive.

I'm in zone 6B.

Thanks

Change the .com to .net to email me

I haven't tried it, but I moved into an old house with a very neglected
garden (I too am in zone 6B, in Maryland; where are you?), and there
were a lot of Spanish bluebells there. But they hadn't spread anywhere
near the amount that the grape hyacinth and daffodils had. My mother in
Alexandria has had them for years, too, and since she asked me for some
of mine, I assume they're not at all invasive. Want some of mine?

Old 27-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Todd J.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:07:37 -0500, spampot wrote:

Todd J. wrote:
Has anyone tried Spanish Bluebells in their garden??? They look like
a good filler for shade/woodland gardens. It looks like they tend to
spread quick maybe even invasive.

I'm in zone 6B.

Thanks

Change the .com to .net to email me

I haven't tried it, but I moved into an old house with a very neglected
garden (I too am in zone 6B, in Maryland; where are you?), and there
were a lot of Spanish bluebells there. But they hadn't spread anywhere
near the amount that the grape hyacinth and daffodils had. My mother in
Alexandria has had them for years, too, and since she asked me for some
of mine, I assume they're not at all invasive. Want some of mine?

I live in Southeast Tennessee on a mountain. Hence the zone 6b. Are
they a pretty flower???? Do they bloom and go away quickly???? Like
tulips???

Old 28-03-2003, 07:32 PM
spampot

Todd J. wrote:

[...]

I think they're pretty, very scilla-like. Look up Hyacinthoides
hispanica (I am not sure of the word endings), wood hyacinth, or spanish
bluebell on the web. They bloom and hang around nicely for a while, the
way "regular" hyacinth does -- not like tulips. I don't care for "real"
hyacinth myself, too stiff and colors too Easter-eggy; they remind me of
plastic flowers in graveyards. Like a lot of other bulbs, they
multiply, so if you dig them up and spread them out every several years,
you'll have a nice display. You see them mostly in a soft
lavendar-blue, although I have a white and a pale pink clump (Mom keeps
hinting about those, but they're mine, mine mine! at least until they
get crowded enough to divide.