Old 14-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Lois

Default Newbie question

I hope a question from a new reader is OK. I live in a condo and have a
small area for vegetables. I only do tomatoes and cukes. Last year both
were wiped out by white flies. It's also too late to save this year's
plants. For next year, is there anything I can do before the flies appear
to stop them before they do any damage.

Appreciate any advise.

Lois

Old 14-08-2004, 11:25 PM
TQ

"Lois" wrote in message
| I hope a question from a new reader is OK. I live in a condo and have a
| small area for vegetables. I only do tomatoes and cukes. Last year both
| were wiped out by white flies. It's also too late to save this year's
| plants. For next year, is there anything I can do before the flies appear
| to stop them before they do any damage.
|
| Appreciate any advise.
|
| Lois

I control white fly with an insecticidal soap spray. It/s also works on
aphids. It/s important to spray when the flies and/or aphids first appear
b/c it/s easier to control them before an infestation sets in.

Also consider that healthy plants are better able to resist insects and
disease, so weekly fish oil and kelp foliar feedings late in the day are
well worth the effort.
--
TQ

Old 14-08-2004, 11:25 PM
TQ

Old 16-08-2004, 01:27 PM
brickled

TQ couldn't be more accurate and the point of putting your focus on creating
healthy plants can't be overemphasized.

back before i organically gardened, i had a lot more problems with insects
and diseases, despite resorting to spraying with harsh chemicals. now that i
enrich my soil year around, i have very few insects/diseases. most all
plants have a certain amount of built-in defences but they must be very
healthy for said defences to be effective.

Old 16-08-2004, 01:27 PM
brickled

[IBC] Newbie question Jim Lewis Bonsai 7 03-09-2003 01:42 AM
Newbie Potato Tire Question Richard Lovering Edible Gardening 5 27-07-2003 11:02 AM
[IBC] Repotting- Newbie question Luis Fontanills Bonsai 6 01-04-2003 07:20 AM
Repotting- Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM