Old 19-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Jeffrey Turner

Default How Do I Harvest Broccoli

I planted some broccoli this year for the first time, and it is
starting to ripen. I am not sure how to tell when it is quite
time to pick it. I also have no idea how to harvest, I noticed
another post where someone spoke of possibly another crop on the
same plants. Thanks for all information.

--Jeff

--
Often war is waged only in order to
show valor; thus an inner dignity is

Americans will always do the right thing
- after they have exhausted every other
possibility. --Winston Churchill

Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

I was against gay marriage until I found
out I didn't have to have one.
--James Carville

Old 19-08-2004, 02:05 PM
DigitalVinyl

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

I planted some broccoli this year for the first time, and it is
starting to ripen. I am not sure how to tell when it is quite
time to pick it. I also have no idea how to harvest, I noticed
another post where someone spoke of possibly another crop on the
same plants. Thanks for all information.

--Jeff

Just break off the head or cut it off--think of how you see it in the
grocer. The plant will send up new shoots from quite a bit further
down on the plant. SIde shoots will come up all around the main stem,
then more as you break off those. My first head wasn't that impressive
but I'm getting so many side shoots I'm more impressed with the yield.
Compared to cauliflower this is so much better.

Harvest them when they are still the tiny little grains on the head.
If you see the grains on the head getting larger then it is time. If
the grains will bulge then split into little "flower heads"-too late.
They start to shoot up and get tall after that. Mine are also bluish
green at first. As they grow the color shifts to more green--I think
that is later then when I should be harvesting them. I think they
should be pulled while they still have that bluish-green tint.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/
Old 19-08-2004, 10:59 PM
TQ

"Jeffrey Turner" wrote in message
| I planted some broccoli this year for the first time, and it is
| starting to ripen. I am not sure how to tell when it is quite
| time to pick it. I also have no idea how to harvest, I noticed
| another post where someone spoke of possibly another crop on the
| same plants. Thanks for all information.

Cut it just before the little flowers on the head open.

--
TQ

Old 19-08-2004, 10:59 PM
TQ