Old 11-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Tomato vine yellowing (with pics!)

At http://members.cox.net/mhorowit you will see a problem I'm having
with my tomato plants.
What happened?
Too late to fix?
- Mike
Old 12-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Karen Zack

In article ,
Michael Horowitz wrote:

At http://members.cox.net/mhorowit you will see a problem I'm having
with my tomato plants.
What happened?
Too late to fix?
- Mike

Thanks for posting your pictures - all 4 of my tomatoes have this as
well, darn. Looks like blight it is. Maybe next year.

Pat, thanks for your suggestions. I put down a weed barrier this year,
which is something I've never done before, but obviously it didn't help.
What I wish I could remember is whether I dumped some of the stems in
the compost bin early on before I realized what it was...

karen

Old 12-09-2004, 03:30 PM
simy1

Karen Zack wrote in message ...
In article ,
Michael Horowitz wrote:

At http://members.cox.net/mhorowit you will see a problem I'm having
with my tomato plants.
What happened?
Too late to fix?
- Mike

Thanks for posting your pictures - all 4 of my tomatoes have this as
well, darn. Looks like blight it is. Maybe next year.

Pat, thanks for your suggestions. I put down a weed barrier this year,
which is something I've never done before, but obviously it didn't help.
What I wish I could remember is whether I dumped some of the stems in
the compost bin early on before I realized what it was...

karen

yeah, it is late blight. More tips: the tomatoes, squash, and cabbage
I always collect at the end of season, place it on the lawn 100 ft
from the garden, and mow into bits. I never take clippings from that
area to use in the garden. My established garden (beds made of
compost, cages put up as I plant the tomatoes) never had any blight -
the vines are invariably killed by frost. my new garden (made this
year, I finished it in june) took the tomatoes this year, and because
of all the construction I left the vines on the ground until july.
they all got blight except the yellow pear (I still got plenty).
So I got renewed religion about not ever touching the soil, and no
watering overhead. I made some new cages, narrower than those I have,
so they can support the plant earlier in its growth.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Ken Anderson

"Karen Zack" wrote in message
In article ,
Michael Horowitz wrote:

At http://members.cox.net/mhorowit you will see a problem I'm having
with my tomato plants.
What happened?
Too late to fix?
- Mike

Thanks for posting your pictures - all 4 of my tomatoes have this as
well, darn. Looks like blight it is. Maybe next year.

Pat, thanks for your suggestions. I put down a weed barrier this year,
which is something I've never done before, but obviously it didn't help.
What I wish I could remember is whether I dumped some of the stems in
the compost bin early on before I realized what it was...

karen

My tomato plants died also. Horrid looking, but the tomatoes managed to ripen
on the gasping vines. Last year, after spraying my grapes with Mancozeb, I
sprayed the tomatoes with what was left over. The plants remained relatively
healthy, though I can't say for sure it was the fungicide. A good
possibility?
Ken

Old 13-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Tom Cavanagh

Ken, Mancozeb does work if you get enough continuous dry weather. It has to
be applied consistently and rain really screws up the program.

Tom

Old 13-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Tom Cavanagh

Old 19-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Steve

Michael Horowitz wrote:

At http://members.cox.net/mhorowit you will see a problem I'm having
with my tomato plants.
What happened?
Too late to fix?
- Mike

Yeah, I think it's too late to fix it. Once you do the zig zag cut, pull
it apart and stuff it with horseradish, it's pretty hard to fix it.

Steve

PS I'm about a week late reading your post and I guess you changed
what you had at that web location. I couldn't resist. ;-)

Old 20-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:59:36 -0400, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

Steve wrote:

Michael Horowitz wrote:

http://members.cox.net/mhorowit

Yeah, I think it's too late to fix it. Once you do the zig zag cut, pull
it apart and stuff it with horseradish, it's pretty hard to fix it.

grin - MIke

Chiffonading the lettuce should make it both more attractive and
handier to eat. :-)