Old 04-10-2004, 01:13 AM

Default PERENNIAL TOMATOES ?

As a northern veggie gardener,
it was always dissapointing when an early frost
would kill off the tomato plants.....
( full of tomatoes, of course )

I had dreamed that in places like Calif,
with no killer frost, tomatoes would be perennials.

We've recently moved to Southern Arizona.
In theory, this is tomato weather.
Sunny days, cool nights.

We have a cherry-tomato plant in back,
it's making tomatoes..... but slowly,
and the leaves are turning yellow.......
The plant is looking sickly....

I'm going to need some help here;

1. When planting tomatoes here,
will I need to make any special preparations ?

2. Can I reasonably expect to see tomatoes 8 or 9 months a year ?

3. Any special variety to better deal with the Arizona climate ?

rj
Old 04-10-2004, 03:42 AM
Katra

In article ,
"RJ" wrote:

As a northern veggie gardener,
it was always dissapointing when an early frost
would kill off the tomato plants.....
( full of tomatoes, of course )

I had dreamed that in places like Calif,
with no killer frost, tomatoes would be perennials.

We've recently moved to Southern Arizona.
In theory, this is tomato weather.
Sunny days, cool nights.

We have a cherry-tomato plant in back,
it's making tomatoes..... but slowly,
and the leaves are turning yellow.......
The plant is looking sickly....

I'm going to need some help here;

1. When planting tomatoes here,
will I need to make any special preparations ?

2. Can I reasonably expect to see tomatoes 8 or 9 months a year ?

3. Any special variety to better deal with the Arizona climate ?

rj

I am in Texas, and even with very late freezes and beautiful weather,
I've been unable in "invent" a perrenial tomato.

Your best bet is cyclical planting to extend your growing season. Start
new ones every couple of months.

I may be wrong, just my 2 cents. ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 04-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"RJ" wrote:

[...]

I understand that tomatoes are perennials. On the other hand, modern
varieties have been bred for optimal production in a temperate climate.
I would not be surprised if some or all cultivated varieties have lost
their ability to be a perennial. Perhaps you can find a heritage
variety from a tropical area.

Most of the tomatoes around here have bit the dust. I have had some
plastic over ours for a while, though. Most of them are full of healthy
green tomatoes and a few ripe ones. Maybe we'll get a decent amount
this year. I really need to build a greenhouse, though.

Ray

Old 04-10-2004, 04:21 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"RJ" wrote:

[...]

I pulled all my dead and dying plants, but found a lovely little "sweet
100's" at the nursery in Austin. :-) Seems that greenhousing then might
be the key?

I just planted it in the large raised bed along with winter greens,
kale, red mustard, swiss chard, lettuce and brocolli. I'm planning on
purchasing a cold frame to cover them with for the winter.

I still have 2 more of these greenhouses to erect. Easier and FAR
cheaper than building one from scratch, and they go up in about 30
minutes. They are far sturdier than they look. The two I put up this
spring have weathered some nasty, windy thunderstorms just fine.

Check he

http://www.propools.com/cgi-bin/Soft.../greenhouses/d
reamhouse.htm?E+scstore

The cold frame I'm going to order is:

http://www.propools.com/cgi-bin/Soft.../greenhouses/s
tarterhouse.htm?L+scstore+bhlc2228+1096876733

Quit putting off your greenhouse and just pick up one of these. ;-)
You won't regret it! I have not.

I bought some heavy plastic snap together shelves from Lowe's with
strong meshed shelving sections as my pot benches. Total investment with
the benches was only about $400.00 per greenhouse for 8' x 8'. I don't
know if you have tried pricing greenhouse kits, but that is really,
really reasonable.

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 04-10-2004, 11:13 PM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:13:09 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

As a northern veggie gardener,
it was always dissapointing when an early frost
would kill off the tomato plants.....
( full of tomatoes, of course )

I had dreamed that in places like Calif,
with no killer frost, tomatoes would be perennials.

We've recently moved to Southern Arizona.
In theory, this is tomato weather.
Sunny days, cool nights.

We have a cherry-tomato plant in back,
it's making tomatoes..... but slowly,
and the leaves are turning yellow.......
The plant is looking sickly....

I'm going to need some help here;

1. When planting tomatoes here,
will I need to make any special preparations ?

2. Can I reasonably expect to see tomatoes 8 or 9 months a year ?

3. Any special variety to better deal with the Arizona climate ?

rj

Here on the Southern Texas gulf coast I let my tomatoes grow year
around most years until the plants start looking really bad. I use
indeterminates.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Daniel Prince

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

I understand that tomatoes are perennials. On the other hand, modern
varieties have been bred for optimal production in a temperate climate.
I would not be surprised if some or all cultivated varieties have lost
their ability to be a perennial.

I live in Los Angeles and I have had Lemon Boy tomatoes overwinter a
couple of times.
--
I wonder who is sillier, my cat who takes laundry basket rides
around the house or me who trained him to take laundry basket
Old 06-10-2004, 08:24 AM
Katra

In article ,
Daniel Prince wrote:

I wonder who is sillier, my cat who takes laundry basket rides
around the house or me who trained him to take laundry basket
rides.

Both are equally silly... ;-)

Ain't it grand???

K. (a fellow cat lover.....)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 06-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Steve Calvin

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Daniel Prince wrote:

I wonder who is sillier, my cat who takes laundry basket rides
around the house or me who trained him to take laundry basket
rides.

Both are equally silly... ;-)

Ain't it grand???

K. (a fellow cat lover.....)

For fellow cat lovers... check out my site
http://www.picturetrail.com/stevecalvin and look in the folder named "Toni"

There's a woman (in Wisconson I think) who makes custom statues of cats
and dogs. In that folder you'll see pics of the cat and the statue that
she made. It's not real big, I think maybe 1 1/2" long and 1/2" high
maybe but it looks pretty close. I got it for my "better half", got
some good "brownie points" outta that one! vbg

I have no affiliation with her at all, just a satisfied customer. Feel
free to email me at if you'd like her email. I
won't post anyone's email publicly so please don't ask me to post it here.

--
Steve

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

Old 07-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Katra

In article ,
Steve Calvin wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Daniel Prince wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the pointers... but I just can't get any more "dust
collectors" at the moment. lol I have some carved gemstone cat
statues, and used to have a lovely cat gargoyle that got ruined when my
house got flooded. sigh

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 25-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered User

I accept that tomatoes are perennials. On the added hand, modern varieties accept been bred for optimal assembly in a abstemious climate. I would not be afraid if some or all able varieties accept lost their adeptness to be a perennial. Perhaps you can acquisition a heritage variety from a close area.
__________________
Pond Pumps

Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Registered User

I accept that tomatoes are perennials. On the added hand, modern varieties accept been bred for optimal assembly in a abstemious climate. I would not be afraid if some or all able varieties accept lost
Hydroponic Gardening Benefits

Perennial help becky95 United Kingdom 1 31-03-2009 08:12 PM
PERENNIAL TOMATOES ?? Gardening 5 04-10-2004 11:16 PM
Favorite perennial vines? Elizabeth North Carolina 13 08-03-2003 02:08 AM
Perennial questions Jayebea Gardening 6 29-01-2003 06:46 AM
Perennial Wildflowers Martin & Anna Sykes United Kingdom 2 04-12-2002 09:48 PM