GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/85185-growing-tomatoes.html)

Antipodean Bucket Farmer 22-10-2004 10:57 AM

In article
fc.003d094101d7c11d3b9aca0098fc20d1.1d7c147@pmug. org,
says...
My philosophy is if I won't drink the water myself, I
don't want it on my food plants. Maybe extreme, but far safer for the
plants (and for me) as far as water is concerned.

I wouldn't be inclined to eat sheep manure, or to drink
water that had been soaked in it.

Perhaps I should assume that my food plants have the
same attitude.

DJBrenton 22-10-2004 03:02 PM

Planting marigolds between the tomatoes keeps whitefly away, infusion of nettle is good for greenfly and dried comfrey leaves around the base of the plant help with disease. It's always worth collecting ladybirds and moving them to your tomato plants too. If you can't do the marigolds or nettles, then soft soap in water does a pretty good job against greenfly and other pahids.