Old 19-10-2004, 05:49 AM
Katrina

Default Growing Tomatoes

Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 19-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Katrina said:

Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.

Seaweed (kelp) sprays. I use Maxicrop's dehydrated powder. The foliage
stays healthy until late in the season. I don't have problems with aphids and
flea beetles are a minor nuisance.

A good, clean mulch also goes a long way to cutting down on problems.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 20-10-2004, 07:00 AM
sherwindu

My tomatoes have been consistently problem free for several years. I do
not spray
them, but keep them watered, and the soil well fertilized before
planting. The thing
which may make a difference for me is that I have two raised beds. One
for tomatoes, and another for the other vegetables. I alternate these
locations every
season, so the tomatoes are not re-planted the next season in the same
place. It is
possible that any tomatoe pests that take up residence do not get a chance
to go into
high gear for the next season. There are probably other benefits in doing
this kind of
crop rotation.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 21-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Rich McKinney

For Tomato Horn Worms, the best defense are Cardinals. The Cardinal's
favorite food is horn worms. Their second favorate is Sun Flower Seeds. In
the spring keep your bird feeder stocked with sun flower seeds to attract
cardinals, and get them to stay in the area. Watching them hunt in you
'maters is fun tool

For Aphids, I use Ladybugs. You can buy them at a good garden shop or by
mail order.

For other pests, as a last resort, I use a product from "Gardens Alive"
called "Pyola". It's a mix of Canola Oil and pyrethrin, an extract from
Chrysantemum flowers.

Rich