GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/85185-growing-tomatoes.html)

Katrina 19-10-2004 05:49 AM

Growing Tomatoes

Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.

Pat Kiewicz 19-10-2004 11:37 AM

Katrina said:

Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.

Seaweed (kelp) sprays. I use Maxicrop's dehydrated powder. The foliage
stays healthy until late in the season. I don't have problems with aphids and
flea beetles are a minor nuisance.

A good, clean mulch also goes a long way to cutting down on problems.

(attributed to Don Marti)

simy1 19-10-2004 01:47 PM

(Katrina) wrote in message . com...
Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.

Good soil makes the plant stronger against both blight and bugs. In my
case, I get blight in potatoes and tomatoes in my new garden, which I
have just started amending, but not in the established old garden with
compost beds. Mulch also helps, by limiting soil splash, as does drip
irrigation or in general avoidance of overhead watering.

Penelope Periwinkle 19-10-2004 02:08 PM

On 18 Oct 2004 21:49:41 -0700, (Katrina)
wrote:

Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.

Soapy water will work to kill aphids, whitefly,and other small bugs,
which is probably why gray water from the washing machine was
mentioned. How safe that is would probably depend on what kind
of soap used or if you used a fabric softener. I've never heard of
a soap spray protecting against a blight, though. I suppose if the
coating of soap on the plant was thick enough, it might act as a
barrier; but the first rain would change that, and I don't imagine
that much soap would be very good for the plant.

Neem oil is a natural product that will kill insects and protect
against some blights, but being natural doesn't make it less
of a chemical.

Penelope

Glenna Rose 19-10-2004 10:54 PM

writes:
Does anyone know how to keep the bugs and blight at bay when growing
tomatoes without using chemicals such as tomato dust? I have heard
that using the 'grey water' from the last cycle of the washing machine
works. Has any got any other suggestions? Thanks.

Simply saying "gray water" is not sufficient as all "additives" to clean
clothes are different.

An example, one detergent I used was not only very good for my rose bush
on which it drained, it was like a magic wand, unbelievable growth and no
bugs! I changed, very briefly, to Amway and nearly killed the plant.

That rinse water will contain much of the washing additive, be it soap or
detergent. For me, I wouldn't consider using any type of "gray water" on
my food plants. My philosophy is if I won't drink the water myself, I
don't want it on my food plants. Maybe extreme, but far safer for the
plants (and for me) as far as water is concerned.

With that said, I use laundry water for general watering quite often, lawn
and misc. other plants. I'm fortunate that my laundry room is at the back
making diverting it very simple.

As always, YMMV.

Glenna

patriarch 20-10-2004 06:29 AM

(Glenna Rose) wrote in
news:fc.003d094101d7c11d3b9aca0098fc20d1.1d7c147@p mug.org:

snip

My philosophy is if I won't drink the water
myself, I don't want it on my food plants. Maybe extreme, but far
safer for the plants (and for me) as far as water is concerned.

My guess is that you don't use a manure tea, then. ;-)

Patriarch,
whose tomatoes certainly aren't wild about Diet Lemon Coke...

sherwindu 20-10-2004 07:00 AM

My tomatoes have been consistently problem free for several years. I do
not spray
them, but keep them watered, and the soil well fertilized before
planting. The thing
which may make a difference for me is that I have two raised beds. One
for tomatoes, and another for the other vegetables. I alternate these
locations every
season, so the tomatoes are not re-planted the next season in the same
place. It is
possible that any tomatoe pests that take up residence do not get a chance
to go into
high gear for the next season. There are probably other benefits in doing
this kind of
crop rotation.

Sherwin Dubren

Rich McKinney 21-10-2004 02:16 AM

For Tomato Horn Worms, the best defense are Cardinals. The Cardinal's
favorite food is horn worms. Their second favorate is Sun Flower Seeds. In
the spring keep your bird feeder stocked with sun flower seeds to attract
cardinals, and get them to stay in the area. Watching them hunt in you
'maters is fun tool

For Aphids, I use Ladybugs. You can buy them at a good garden shop or by
mail order.

For other pests, as a last resort, I use a product from "Gardens Alive"
called "Pyola". It's a mix of Canola Oil and pyrethrin, an extract from
Chrysantemum flowers.

Rich