Old 20-10-2004, 03:19 AM
zxcvbob

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
I enjoy growing peppers, and I have varieties of all heat levels. and
as anyone who has ever grown peppers knows, there is no such thing as
a pepper shortage this time of year, all the plants are pumping out
peppers! For me, part of the enjoyment of growing anything is being
able to share.

So, here's the problem, I have found that "hot" is a relative term. I
brought in some peppers to one of my co-workers who insisted he liked
hot peppers. "These are really, really hot, now," I warned him; but
he assured me he liked 'em hot.

Apparently he doesn't like 'em *that* hot, cause he was back in here
complaining about my devil peppers. I didn't have the heart to tell
him those weren't even close to the hottest ones I have.

Anyway, I'm starting to use what I call "The Old El Paso" scale.
Almost everyone has had Old El Paso salsa at some time or another, so
I ask them what level - mild, medium, or hot- of Old El Paso salsa
would they eat, or would they consider Old El Paso far too wimpy.Yes,
I know there are far better salsas out there, both homemade and
commercial, but Old El Paso seems to be so ubiquitious, it's a handy
reference. It has narrowed things down a lot, but there are still a
few who are convinced they like much hotter peppers than they really
do.

And then there are those annoying people who think that liking hot
peppers somehow makes them kewl. I will confess to making pepper
poppers out of Devil's Tongue peppers to take to parties just to
watch that sort start making all kind of excuses about why they can't
have anything hot tonight! Some of them even get all scaredy at the
Lemon Drop poppers, and they're merely hot.

Penelope

What are Devil's Tongue peppers? I've seen you mention them several times.

Thanks, regards,
Bob
Old 20-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:19:21 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

What are Devil's Tongue peppers? I've seen you mention them several times.

They're a yellow habanero-type pepper, _C chinense_, and right
up there with the hottest of the hot peppers. I think Reimers seeds
and Dave DeWitt's company both claimed to have tested some and
had them come out hotter than Red Savinas last year. You can
go to www.chiliplants.com, click on "Chile Chart" and scroll
down and click on "Devil's Tongue" is you want to see a picture.

Once they're that insanely hot, I don't see what difference a few
Scovilles one way or the othe; but then I'm a pepper geek, not a
chilihead. The brother of one of my co-workers *is* a chilihead, and
he says they taste hotter than Red Savina's and Chocolate habs. I
think they impart a nice flavor to the hot pepper oils and vinagars I
make, but I'm not about to munch one!

Penelope

Old 20-10-2004, 03:48 PM
zxcvbob

wrote:

What are Devil's Tongue peppers? I've seen you mention them several times.

They're a yellow habanero-type pepper, _C chinense_, and right
up there with the hottest of the hot peppers. I think Reimers seeds
and Dave DeWitt's company both claimed to have tested some and
had them come out hotter than Red Savinas last year. You can
go to www.chiliplants.com, click on "Chile Chart" and scroll
down and click on "Devil's Tongue" is you want to see a picture.

Once they're that insanely hot, I don't see what difference a few
Scovilles one way or the othe; but then I'm a pepper geek, not a
chilihead. The brother of one of my co-workers *is* a chilihead, and
he says they taste hotter than Red Savina's and Chocolate habs. I
think they impart a nice flavor to the hot pepper oils and vinagars I
make, but I'm not about to munch one!

Penelope

Thanks. That sounds a lot like "fatalii", which I like and is supposed
to grow well up here but I haven't had any luck with them. I wouldn't
believe everything I read at Reimers. I bought some of their Indian
PC-1 peppers a few years ago and they weren't all that special, just hyped.

My interesting pepper this year was "dundicut", scavanged from some
dried peppers I bought at an Indian market. I got very poor germination
and a weak start with those pepper seeds, but I have fresh seeds now for
next year. The peppers have a good flavor, are quite hot but not much
more so than a good jalapeno, and they are *very* seedy so I mostly ate
them green while the seeds were still soft. They look about like red
and green gumdrops. :-)

Bob

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM