Old 01-11-2004, 10:24 PM
rachael traub

Default what are these and how do I get rid of them?

I have what I think are egg casings growing on a wooden retaining
wall. They seem to be killing the mint growing neatby. here is a
photo: http://www.webmztriss.com/eggs.jpg

Does anyone recognize them?
thanks!
Old 04-11-2004, 05:20 AM
Steve

I can't recognize them from that photo. (Not sure I could with a better
photo either.)
What evidence do you have that the white things on the wall have
anything to do with the decline of your mint?

Steve

Old 05-11-2004, 06:07 AM
Steve

OK, that's pretty good evidence.
They aren't mealy bugs, are they? They don't look like it from the
photo. Mealy bugs would move around. The ones on the wall would have to
move to go find a plant to feed on.
From your pictures they look attached to the wall and they look oval in
shape. Right? If you squash one, is there liquid inside like a living
thing? Can we rule out it being some sort of fungus growth?
Your original idea of egg cases may be right. I'm just trying to rule
out other things because if they ARE egg cases, I still don't have any
idea what they are. Also, egg cases shouldn't harm a plant (though the
insect that left the egg cases might have).

Steve

Old 07-11-2004, 02:03 PM
rachael traub

they do not seem to have legs. they are indeed raised ovals and
attached to the wall. when you squash one there is a reddish brown
interior, more powdery, than liquid.

Steve wrote in message ...
OK, that's pretty good evidence.
They aren't mealy bugs, are they? They don't look like it from the
photo. Mealy bugs would move around. The ones on the wall would have to
move to go find a plant to feed on.
From your pictures they look attached to the wall and they look oval in

Old 08-11-2004, 04:36 AM
Steve

It sounds like a fungus to me too. I don't believe there is a fungus
that would grow on a wood wall AND grow on mint or any other plant. I
wonder if the similar looking things on the mint are not really the same
as on the wood? Maybe the damp conditions next to the wall are causing
fungus problems with the mint. Poor air circulation (likely conditions
next to a wall) can lead to powdery mildew, downy mildew, or other
fungus problems.

Steve

Katra wrote:
That sounds more like a fungus...

Does that wood stay wet?

K.

Steve wrote in message

OK, that's pretty good evidence.
They aren't mealy bugs, are they? They don't look like it from the
photo. Mealy bugs would move around. The ones on the wall would have to
move to go find a plant to feed on.
From your pictures they look attached to the wall and they look oval in

Old 08-11-2004, 12:51 PM
rachael traub

thanks for the input! the wood does stay wet.
shall I try a basic fungicide?