Old 04-12-2004, 09:34 PM
someone

Jim Elbrecht wrote in message

'Putting Food By' - I have a 1970's [bought in '73'] copy kicking
around someplace & I still look at it once in a while. It covers
freezing, canning, drying, making jams & preserves--- and what
fruits/veggies are best suited for each.

Hopefully there is a newer version out there-- but if not, you can
probably find some copies on bookfinder.com.

I have a 1976 U.K. version of 'Putting Food By', it's still really
useful if you want serious information.

Another good book that I bought many years ago and still use is '12
Months Harvest' a guide to canning, freezing, smoking and drying; making
cheese, cider, soap and grinding grain; getting the most from your
garden. It was published by Ortho Books in 1975 and describes the lives
of the Dewey family through their year, from one harvest to the next,
and tells you how to freeze things and also how to preserve them the
old-fashioned way: fruit, veg, herbs, meats, fish.. Also, sprouting
seeds and how to make sourdough, etc. etc.

I see this is available at abebooks for $4.00, which is 2 cents more
than I paid for it at the time.

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...ld.x=67&tn=12+
Months+Harvest&imagefield.y=11

s.