Old 23-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Carlock

lid stated...
Yeah, why do you call them drugstores? What do they sell?
I'm used to milkbars, and dairys as names for small corner
shops.

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer"
American "drugstores" are often like a combination of
a NZ dairy and a pharmacy in one large store.

As an American, I see American drug stores as Canadian
owned retail establishments that sell little purple and
yellow pills, along with various items found in restrooms
at gasoline stations.

Most "American" drug stores are really "Canadian" drug
stores. Eckerds was sold by JCPenney to Canadians. CVS
is owned by Canadians. Walgreens must be owned by French
Canadians as their prices are in line with the pricing at Eckerds
and CVS.

What drug store is left? Osco? Those are drug stores
in the north and I used to think Eckerds and Osco were
of the same corporation when I was a kid but I really never
had an interest in knowing or caring. They just looked a
bit similar.

Then there is a pharmacy in just about every grocery store,
a pharmacy in most Wal-Marts and K-Marts. In fact, if I
really think about it, I think there are definitely more drug
stores in the United States than there are McDonalds.

In fact, the only retail establishment that there might be
more of...

Gas Stations
Car Dealerships (in Florida this would be a very close call)

I wonder who owns all the gas?

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.