Old 08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Time2Live

Default Haas Avocado didnt Fruit last year -- Please Help

We have a 4-year-old Haas Avocado in Southern California and it has
been giving us from 20-35 fruits per year, until last year. I believe
that I let the fruit in 2003 stay too long on the tree, and it never
bloomed the next season.
How can I get my tree blooming back to normal?
Thanks to all.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Linda

I can't answer your question, but we also have a Haas Avocado tree in So.Cal
and mine has never had fruit..It is probably 2-3 yrs. old......do you need 2
trees to pollinate?? Thanks

Have a Great Day!!
Linda

Old 10-01-2005, 10:22 PM
catwoman

Time2Live wrote:
We have a 4-year-old Haas Avocado in Southern California and it has
been giving us from 20-35 fruits per year, until last year. I believe
that I let the fruit in 2003 stay too long on the tree, and it never
bloomed the next season.

When should the fruit be removed? My 2-yr old tree had 10 fruits, still
7 on the tree.

nancy

Old 11-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Scott Peterson

"Linda" wrote:

I can't answer your question, but we also have a Haas Avocado tree in So.Cal
and mine has never had fruit..It is probably 2-3 yrs. old......do you need 2
trees to pollinate?? Thanks

You need a type A and a type B avocado to pollinate each other. It
doesn't take much. If you've got a Haas, get a Bacon or a Fuerte.
The problem is that most of the B's are green-skin varieties. If you
don't like them as well, you may see if you can get hold of a Marvel
or Noble. These are not generally available, but are more Haas like
than most.

Do a web search on Haas Avocado pollination. You'll find more than
you ever wanted to know.

I planted both types and suddenly my neighbor's 30 foot tall tree
started producing for the first time ever. He was overwhelmed when he
got a couple hundred on the tree after nothing for 20 years.

The other thing is that you need bees. If there's been any spraying or
anything to disturb them, plan on hand pollinating if you want
anything.

Finally, sometimes Avocados just have an off year. Just make sure that
it's fertilized properly and not over-watered. That's the worst thing
you can do to an avocado.

Scott Peterson

--
Just remember...if the world didn't