Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered User

Default Flox didnt bloom this year? Why?

We have flox all along our drive and pool, this year was no different than others...but there were very few blooms! Most years its like a carpet of blloms.
Im in western kentucky

thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

kentuckynet writes:

We have flox all along our drive and pool, this year was no different
than others...but there were very few blooms! Most years its like a
carpet of blloms.
Im in western kentucky

First I hope you didn't let them see this post, they don't like to
see their name spelled like that, they're very sensitive.

Phlox.

Here in NJ we're more than a month away from blooms. Maybe it's too
early. Otherwise they may need dividing.

One of my favorite plants. They stink up the area in a very nice way.

--
Dan Espen
Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckynet View Post
We have flox all along our drive and pool, this year was no different than others...but there were very few blooms! Most years its like a carpet of blloms.
Im in western kentucky

thanks
Have you recently fed them with anything? as sometimes they can get too much nitrogen and produce a mass of foliage at the expense of blooms?
Or it could be as the other poster said, that it's too early or maybe too cool?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:11 AM
Registered User

Location: Xiamen

Do flox looks good? Maybe it cause of too cool or fed to much.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Virginia

I would like to grow some phlox, and I have some in another place. My grandmother told me that I could just cut off part, with some roots attached, from what I have and plant that where I want it. Will this work?
__________________
Rocks, roots, constant shade and one
Ignorant Gardener
Old 13-05-2011, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ig.Gardener wrote:

I would like to grow some phlox, and I have some in another place. My
grandmother told me that I could just cut off part, with some roots
attached, from what I have and plant that where I want it. Will this
work?

which kind? where? etc.

songbird
Old 13-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ig.Gardener View Post
I would like to grow some phlox, and I have some in another place. My grandmother told me that I could just cut off part, with some roots attached, from what I have and plant that where I want it. Will this work?
Yes, phlox are very very easy to propagate.
All you need to do is either split the plant or take a cutting.
The splitting can either be done in the spring or early autumn, with the early spring a slightly better time.

Get a sharp spade and literally 'chop' a section of plant off if it's a large clump and replant straight away in a new spot.

If not, cuttings can be taken at this time of the year.
What you need to do is find a shoot with not obvious flower buds forming on it and then with a sharp knife or pair of scissors, cut off a length of about 4-5" , then trim it off just below a pair of leaf joints.

Next is to prepare some potting compost mix for the cutting.
I use around 2/3 of multi-purpose compost to 1/3 sharp sand mixed throughly.
Then all you need to do is pop your cutting into a 3" pot or into a 'cell tray' so around 2" of the cutting is below soil level.
You can use hormone rooting powder if you want, that will help speed up rooting and ward off damping off and rotting.

when you have done a few cuttings (always do more than you need to allow for losses) take the pot or tray with the cuttings in, and place in a propagator or use some clear polythene to make a tent to help keep the humidity up and raise the temperature a bit and leave somewhere with good bright light , but not full sunlight and keep the compost moist but not wet and with any luck you should have rooted cutting within 2-3 weeks!!

Phlox are one of the easier cutting to take so don't worry

hope this helps?
Old 13-05-2011, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ig.Gardener writes:

I would like to grow some phlox, and I have some in another place. My
grandmother told me that I could just cut off part, with some roots
attached, from what I have and plant that where I want it. Will this
work?

Cut off part with roots attached?

Strange wording.

I think your grandmother was talking about dividing the root ball.

For a perennial like phlox that's the way to go.

Many sites explain the process, here's one:

http://tinyurl.com/3dbkdse

--
Dan Espen

[IMG] code is On

Creeping Flox Road Runner Lawns 0 19-07-2005 06:37 PM
Haas Avocado didnt Fruit last year -- Please Help Time2Live Gardening 3 11-01-2005 08:45 AM
Haas Avocado didnt Fruit last year -- Please Help Time2Live Edible Gardening 6 11-01-2005 08:45 AM
See what Networks Didnt want seen 3872 [email protected] Bamboo 0 01-05-2004 03:03 PM
Don't visit Ballymaloe - (news that didnt reach england) Niall United Kingdom 0 21-01-2003 04:42 PM