Old 09-03-2005, 08:01 PM
The Cook

Default Seed Prices

There was a rant earlier about the amount of seed that you get in a
pack. I think that part of the problem is that the companies like
Burpee, Ferry-Morse, etc. are not selling to the farmer, they are
selling to the home gardener who wants to plant 6 tomatoes, 2 squash,
a short row of beans. If you want large quantities, go to companies
like Park Seed who sell in various quantities. And if you have any
kind of farm store in your area, try them. Last year we bought 4 oz.
packages of radish and turnip, 1 lb. packages of beans and peas. Do
you have any idea how many radish seeds there are in 4 oz.? And
prices have gone up too. Many years ago I could not put $5.00 worth
of gas in my Chevy Nova station wagon.

I have ordered many packets of seed over the Internet this year. We
now have space to plant many different kinds of vegetables and flowers
and I am going wild. We started with the large packages of seeds we
bought last year from Tractor Supply. Then bought some from the local
home store. Then I went on the Internet and looked a many web pages
and made a list of each thing that I wanted and what companies had it.
Then start buying from the company that had the most of what I wanted.
Then tried to combine items so that I did not order just one thing
from a company.

In the last couple of days I have come across some bargains in the
local stores. Tractor Supply carries a line of Sow 'N Grow seeds.
They are priced at 99¢ a pack. The selection is somewhat limited but
TS was selling them for 20¢ each. Today I went to Wal-Mart to look
around while my husband was buying some things. They have Burpee
seeds! I was under the impression that Burpee no longer sold in
retail stores. Could not believe the prices. A 100 mg pack of Better
Boy seeds was 97¢. I checked the price on the Burpee web page and the
price for 30 seeds is $2.95. I opened the pack when I got home and
without actually counting it appears that there are about 30 seeds.
The price for Brandy Boy Hybrid in the web is $3.95 for 30. At
Wal-Mart they were $1.34. Wal-Mart also has a line of American Seeds
which sell for 10¢ a pack and 88¢ for packages they say has more seeds
than 12 standard size packs.

I am not at fan of Wal-Mart, but I am even less a fan of paying
exorbitant prices for seeds. I have found that the prices at Pinetree
Seeds are very reasonable. www.superseeds.com

Now if someone can tell me where I can buy seeds for "Petit Pois" and
Carmello tomatoes other than Renee's Seeds I would be most grateful.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 14-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Nyssa

The Cook wrote:

Now if someone can tell me where I can buy seeds for "Petit Pois" and
Carmello tomatoes other than Renee's Seeds I would be most grateful.

I got mine from Kitchen Garden Seeds. The tomatoes are already up
about 5 inches tall. Too cold to work outside yet to get the
petit pois planted. It's running 10 degrees F below normal this
month. sigh

http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com

I picked up a number of unusual (to me) varieties and a summer
salad garden combination that included the Carmello tomatoes.

No affiation, just a happy customer.

Nyssa, waiting for the weather to warm up to start digging
Old 14-03-2005, 04:20 PM
The Cook

Nyssa wrote:

The Cook wrote:

Now if someone can tell me where I can buy seeds for "Petit Pois" and
Carmello tomatoes other than Renee's Seeds I would be most grateful.

I got mine from Kitchen Garden Seeds. The tomatoes are already up
about 5 inches tall. Too cold to work outside yet to get the
petit pois planted. It's running 10 degrees F below normal this
month. sigh

http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com

I picked up a number of unusual (to me) varieties and a summer
salad garden combination that included the Carmello tomatoes.

No affiation, just a happy customer.

Nyssa, waiting for the weather to warm up to start digging

Thanks for the reference. Prices look OK and shipping is very
reasonable.

Seed prices Broadback United Kingdom 3 12-02-2005 11:08 AM
Playstation 2, XBox, GameCube Incredible Prices!! [email protected] Lawns 0 02-04-2003 06:32 AM
lawn care prices. sp500 Lawns 2 29-03-2003 02:32 PM
Offers quality plants at great prices, come see what we mean! NickRiggi Lawns 0 14-01-2003 01:05 PM
AD: Beautiful Tiffany Lamps at Super Affordable Prices! Michelle Liao Lawns 1 14-12-2002 05:56 AM