Old 10-03-2005, 02:55 AM
Ken Anderson

Default Oregano or Basil?

I've concluded that I definitely like oregano better than basil, regardless of
dish. The basil seems to have a soapish flavor to me. The board has been
quiet lately. Anyone care to opine?

Old 10-03-2005, 04:18 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Ken Anderson" wrote:

I've concluded that I definitely like oregano better than basil, regardless of
dish. The basil seems to have a soapish flavor to me. The board has been
quiet lately. Anyone care to opine?

Well, to each their own taste... ;-)
Oregano I can only use in very, very small amounts as it is strong and
too much upsets my stomach.

I adore basil, but that's just me.

Might be the variety?
There are a few different types of basil.....

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 15-03-2005, 02:44 AM
Gary Flynn

Katra wrote:

Well, to each their own taste... ;-)
Oregano I can only use in very, very small amounts as it is strong and
too much upsets my stomach.

Try Marjoram. Its milder with close to
the same taste.
Old 15-03-2005, 02:58 AM
Katra

In article ,
Gary Flynn wrote:

Katra wrote:

Well, to each their own taste... ;-)
Oregano I can only use in very, very small amounts as it is strong and
too much upsets my stomach.

Try Marjoram. Its milder with close to
the same taste.

Okay, I just got a Marjoram planted last fall.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
Ken Anderson wrote:
I've concluded that I definitely like oregano better than basil, regardless of
dish. The basil seems to have a soapish flavor to me. The board has been
quiet lately. Anyone care to opine?

Maybe you should try a different kind of basil. There are many if you
grow from seed. Worth it!

(Of course, everyone's nose and tongue are a little different. YMMV.)

-frank

Old 11-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Ken Anderson

"Frank Miles" wrote in message
In article ,
Ken Anderson wrote:
I've concluded that I definitely like oregano better than basil, regardless

of
dish. The basil seems to have a soapish flavor to me. The board has been
quiet lately. Anyone care to opine?

Maybe you should try a different kind of basil. There are many if you
grow from seed. Worth it!

(Of course, everyone's nose and tongue are a little different. YMMV.)

-frank
--

I must confess blasphemy. : \
These herbs are off-the-shelf. Dried and in bottles, no less. McCormick's?

Old 11-03-2005, 07:02 AM
Katra

Ken Anderson wrote:
I've concluded that I definitely like oregano better than basil, regardless

of
dish. The basil seems to have a soapish flavor to me. The board has been
quiet lately. Anyone care to opine?

Maybe you should try a different kind of basil. There are many if you
grow from seed. Worth it!

(Of course, everyone's nose and tongue are a little different. YMMV.)

-frank
--

I must confess blasphemy. : \
These herbs are off-the-shelf. Dried and in bottles, no less. McCormick's?
The home-grown I assume are much better, if you know how to do it. I recall
growing both oregano and basil one year, but thought the results left
something to be desired. There was too much of a plant-like chlorophyll
taste, as I recall.

Heh.
There is NO comparison between the flavors of fresh vs. dried and
bottled herbs... ;-)

Kat

Old 12-03-2005, 03:56 PM
nina

Ken Anderson wrote:
I've concluded that I definitely like oregano better than basil,

regardless of
dish. The basil seems to have a soapish flavor to me. The board has

been
quiet lately. Anyone care to opine?

I've never liked Basil, never had much of an opinion,but I have a nice
purple bush basil with a sweet almost licorice type smell that I adore.
I'm bored with oregano, I prefere sage and rosemary.
nina

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net

Old 12-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Ken Anderson

"nina" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken Anderson wrote:
I've concluded that I definitely like oregano better than basil,

regardless of
dish. The basil seems to have a soapish flavor to me. The board has

been
quiet lately. Anyone care to opine?

I've never liked Basil, never had much of an opinion,but I have a nice
purple bush basil with a sweet almost licorice type smell that I adore.
I'm bored with oregano, I prefere sage and rosemary.
nina

Several minutes ago I placed my seed order. At the last moment I deleted the
fancy basil that I had on my list. It's so easy to go overboard when ordering
seeds. : \
I'd like to post the link to the site I ordered from. I ordered last year
also, and I think they have a great selection. The Redorta San Marzano
tomatoes are outstanding. Unusual URL, I'll agree. : )
http://www.felcopruners.net/
NAYY, blah blah blah

Old 12-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Katra

In article .com,
"nina" wrote:

Ken Anderson wrote:
I've concluded that I definitely like oregano better than basil,

regardless of
dish. The basil seems to have a soapish flavor to me. The board has

been
quiet lately. Anyone care to opine?

I've never liked Basil, never had much of an opinion,but I have a nice
purple bush basil with a sweet almost licorice type smell that I adore.
I'm bored with oregano, I prefere sage and rosemary.
nina

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net

Every tried Thyme?

I have 3 different varieties growing and there are quite a few more
available! I just picked up a beautiful variagated variety that has a
loverly smell..... and taste!

Goes well as a creeping ground cover around walkways.
As you step on it or brush by it, it realeases a lot of scent into the
air.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:19 PM
nina

Katra wrote:
In article .com,
"nina" wrote:

Ken Anderson wrote:
[...]

Thats what I dont have! Well, that and sage too,oh and tarragon. They
dont seem to be as common down here (Puerto Rico) as in the States.I
had regular thyme and lemon thyme in Colorado. I adored the lemon
thyme.I need to get new plants as I am starting to run low on the
little bit that I harvested and dried before moving.
I've got my Richters catalogs right here. I cant wait to start
ordering!!

Old 13-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Katra

In article .com,
"nina" wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article .com,
"nina" wrote:

Ken Anderson wrote:
[...]

If you have any trouble getting Thyme, let me know!
My creeping thyme is doing well and I may be able to air layer you some.
:-)
--
K.
Old 13-03-2005, 06:03 PM
nina

Katra wrote:
In article .com,
"nina" wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article

.com,
"nina" wrote:

Ken Anderson wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I hope I dont have to take you up on that offer.

Old 13-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Jim Carlock

Just passing on a thought on how to improve the menus on
your website using some good old down home CSS.
http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net

Inside your css page, try something along the lines of the
following for the menu tags.

style type="text/css"!--
..menu, a.menu, a.menu:link, a.menu:visited, a.menu:active {
display: block;
color: #0000ff;
background-color: ffff00;
font-family: Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 10pt;
padding: 2px;
text-decoration: none;
border-style: outset;
border-size: 1px;
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
}
a.menu:hover {
display: block;
color: #993300;
/*background-color: transparent;*/
text-decoration: none;
background-color: #ddddff;
padding: 2px;
border-color: #00ffff;
border-size: 1px;
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
}
--/style

When working with web-pages, ALL tags are either:
block or inline.
The display: block; tells the browser a.menu is to be represented
as a block element rather than an inline element. By default a
tags are inline, meaning they don't expand to the size of their
containing tag. Tables, paragraphs and div are block style.
Sometimes you'll see div and span tags. The only difference
between these tags, is their "display" property. span are all
inline, div are all block. This is probably one of the most
important things to learn when working with style sheets (css).

You can "override" the default behavior of any inline element
to make them display as block.

The css code above works for a class="menu" href="" links.
I put in the mechanism to turn off the underline and change the
way the border looks. Something that helps me out when I
run into troubles...
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_examples.asp

I have to do these tutorials every so often to keep my skills
up and refresh my css knowledge, otherwise I'll forget things.
I hope this helps. You can copy the code to an .htm document
on your hard disk and mess with the border-size, width, and
so on. It's 100% compatible with IE 4.0 and netscape 6.0 or
later. Netscape 4 doesn't seem to recognize the border-style
tags.

Hope this is helpful.

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

Old 13-03-2005, 06:02 PM
nina

Jim Carlock wrote:
Just passing on a thought on how to improve the menus on
your website using some good old down home CSS.
http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net

Inside your css page, try something along the lines of the
following for the menu tags.

..code snipped..
I have to do these tutorials every so often to keep my skills
up and refresh my css knowledge, otherwise I'll forget things.
I hope this helps. You can copy the code to an .htm document
on your hard disk and mess with the border-size, width, and
so on. It's 100% compatible with IE 4.0 and netscape 6.0 or
later. Netscape 4 doesn't seem to recognize the border-style
tags.

Hope this is helpful.

thx
I added the display:block thingy. Was there a problem with it before or
is this just an optional improvment? It checks out ok for me in Firefox
and IE6.

I do these sites to keep busy and to give myself a chance to work on
CSS since I've been out of school 3 years and will forget everything if
I dont keep at it. You will also notice that I took the easy way out
and used tables for my layout. I am not a paying customer, so my
personal sites get crappy code.